Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
NOOO!

I have been googling through the group graveyards and snowmobile forums trying to get some good tips. Maybe some of you can help me out. I need to remove a Comet 108exp off my '01 800xc, I got the puller for the 108exp, but the shaft seems too long and or the clutch won't budge at all after administering as much force on the wrench as I can without hopefully endangering the crank. so far the two most frequent tips I have come across are to heat the shaft while the puller is in tight, and the second, is to use hydraulic compression to remove it, by filling the hole first with greese or gear oil, then cranking the puller down. Have any of you done this, or know a better way to get a stuck primary off?

·
Registered
385 Posts
I would be careful heating the shaft, that could cause problems with the seals/bearings. Give it a shot with the grease packed in there or carefully try to turn the puller with an impact gun, but be very careful, you don't want to strip the threads in there. Good luck!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Bulldog said:
I would be careful heating the shaft, that could cause problems with the seals/bearings. Give it a shot with the grease packed in there or carefully try to turn the puller with an impact gun, but be very careful, you don't want to strip the threads in there. Good luck!

do that then when the puller has tension on it rap the end of the puller with a hammer, that will do the trick most of the time and free the clutch

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, tried the grease trick, no go. got the puller down in tight, tried tap tap tappin with a hammer, no go. 100 psi air gun, no go...... temperment... failing.... 3 foot breaker bar and lots of swearing...... no goo... hmm... 5 pound sledge...... not even a milimeter of movement!! arrhhhh!! is there any paths left between me and cutting it off with a saws all?????

3 inches of snow fell last night.. I hear cross country skiing is nice... ahahhah.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sounds like a problem I had with a Indy 500 Classic Touring last year than came to the shop, the # 1 best way, but also you have to be very carefull, is to first off, get yourself one hell of an impact gun(you dont got to worry about stripping the threads as long as the puller has at least 4 or 5 threads started) after that use some kind of heat source ( torch ) you need to know what you doing not to over heat it though, but you need to heat the shaft where the belt ride and keep heating it untill it starts getting just discolord than use the impact and get the puller just as tight as it will go and if it doesnt pop off once its that tight use a hammer and give the end of the puller a few blows ( keeping in mind try not to hit the clutch, seen it happen and many peices fly) usually after a few hits and give it another round with the impact it should fly off, but the key is to heat and than lots of pressure and hitting the end of the puller with the hammer wich sends lots of vibration threw the shaft wich loosens. (keep in mind you do have an oil seal behind the clutch, but after doing this many times ive never had a problem. hope this helps

·
Registered
39 Posts
Had the same problem on one of an old Arctic Putty that came in the other day. Customer had killed the threads trying to get it loose, and had to cut the whold clutch off with the torch. Lucky for him the clutch was shot anyway. Kind of extreme, so don't feel bad.

·
Registered
15 Posts
be sure to tip sled on its side so when you pour the oil in it stays in this trick has never failed me try it again remember finness not force

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
First it was my clutch, but now THIS?!?!?!

Good news, I got that P.O.S clutch off!! bad news, I got a socket stuck up in the crank snout (booo hisss!! I know, I know) bad move on my part, I was trying to make up some length on the clutch puller, and got a little over zealous, now I have a socket head stuck down in the snout. 3 weeks later, I havent been able to drill, crack or chisel out the socket, and there is a definite fear of the threads being crushed.
Sooo... I may have come alll this way for nothing that, and snow is falling. It is looking more and more like I will have to replace the crank.... ughhh..... just shoot me now.. SOoo the two new questions are,,
1. Does anyone know a good place to buy new or rebuilt cranks ready set with bearings and everything?
and,
2. Where do i get the tear down specs for my engine, like the bolt pattern to use on the cylinders and the tourque specs?

thanks!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts