Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I am new to the snowmobile community around the Denver area. I primarily sled to access bigger backcountry terrain in the mountain surrounding Denver (front range / summit county / vail area).

I have heard of a few good spots including jones pass, vail pass, and others. Does anyone know any good resources, or specific areas that are good for sled access to backcountry skiing?

Thanks guys!

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
I don't live near Denver, but we got tons of it down here in southwest CO- wolf creek, red mountain, silverton areas have a lifetime of great skiing. There is a good number of anti-sled backcountry skiers in Colorado that are trying to close a lot of areas to snowmobiling. They aren't having much luck but have gained restrictions in a few areas. As far as summit county goes, the places you named are all good for sled access from what I hear- especially vail pass, and there is some good stuff around Steamboat. Wolf creek gets the most snow in Colorado, and usually the earliest too. Its not uncommon to be riding 3-6 feet of snow there by mid December, sometimes earlier. By March there is over 400 inches. Head down that way (about 4.5 hours from Denver) and stay in south fork and hit up all the sledding on the pass and bring your skis!!! It’s worth the trip, I guarantee it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hear great things about the san juans and i have a friend who is guiding at silverton, its just pulling 2 sleds a total of 9hrs every weekend is too much on my 4runner and my wallet

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
Well, have fun in that I-70 traffic! Wolf creek is worth the trip if you can make it, otherwise more pow for me!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello all,

I am new to the snowmobile community around the Denver area. I primarily sled to access bigger backcountry terrain in the mountain surrounding Denver (front range / summit county / vail area).

I have heard of a few good spots including jones pass, vail pass, and others. Does anyone know any good resources, or specific areas that are good for sled access to backcountry skiing?

Thanks guys!
I love snowboarding in some of those zones you mentioned. Unfortunately, I totaled my sled in the complete bs conditions we had last season (no snow for CO last year). Haven't been able to save everything I need for a replacement so I'm gonna make turns on Vail Pass this weekend with a rental from Beaver Creek Snowmobiling. Anybody ever use these guys? Sounds like they have some half way decent rental sleds and they're letting me and a buddy tandem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello all,

Thanks guys!
Hey, You can visit this website : https://www.grandadventures.com/ for amazing trailing in the mountain.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts