Snowmobile Forum banner

Cold siezure

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  chase9119 
#1 ·
Well I cold siezed my MXZ. I wish some one would have told me to warm the sled up for a long time before riding. How long should it warm up for? Has anyone else had this problem? I asked two people if I should do anything to break in my new motor. Too bad niether said warm it up real good.:mad:

#4 ·
I'm definitely ready for snow. Cold seizing is caused by taking off too fast before the engine is warm enough. The pistons expand from the heat faster than the cylinder walls because of the cold antifreeze in the block and the pistons scrape the cylinders. If you don't go above "just enough to make it move" RPM's it shouldn't seize. I usually let it idle until the temp guage starts to move then I'm OK. The biggest cause is going fast too soon..:mad:

#5 ·
If thats a fresh rebuild youre going to have to break it in first anyways. but I would definetely suggest firing the sled up and then go back inside and put your stuff on. by the time you get everything on and back outside the engine will be warmed up enough to take right off. thats what I do.

#7 ·
How fast were you going when she locked up?

My buddy did this to his XP Jet-Ski. He jumped on it, let it idle for 30 seconds & put it to the bar. 1,200ft later, he managed to cause over $2,200 in damage. At serious RPMS you can tweek the hell out of the crank and other power out put devices.

Did you pull the crank to atleast make sure it was true? $50 for ease of mind, I'd recommend it, vs replacing everything again in 500 miles or less.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.