Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 97 MXZ 440 fan with 3200mi. At the start of the season I pulled the carbs and cleaned the bowls and main jets (as I do every year). I took it out for the first time over the weekend and it was running like crap. I put it back in the garage and pulled the carbs back off because my first thought was a fuel problem. Everything looked fine. Put fresh plugs in it, started it back up. The plug from the left cylinder is the perfect shade of brown. The plug from the right cylinder has a little oil and fuel on it but otherwise looks new. While running that cylinder is cold. Also the cold cylinder has a few small marks in the center of the piston (evidence of some type of detination problem).

I beat the hell out of this snomobile (but always maintained it well) during the 4 years that I have owned it and it has never missed a beat.

Any ideas about where I should go from here would be appreciated.

·
I am Spartacus
23,863 Posts
Did you check to see if the cold cylinder has good spark? If not, it's probably the coil for that side. If spark is OK, then it's a fuel problem.

·
I am Spartacus
23,863 Posts
Get an inline spark tester at any auto parts store. That'll show you a good spark. Laying the plug on the head isn't the best indicator.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts