Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im replacing the 2 bearing for my cog shaft on my el tigre and noticed that the right part of the cog is bent up a little bit,i can't afford another cog so i was wondering if anybody had an idea if i could heat it up and bend it back or not??

·
Mad Snowshoveler
537 Posts
If you do go that route you will have to heat it up and quench it (dump in oil) then let cool. Then heat up again and let air cool. I'm no expert as far as how long it will last but i wish you luck.
Also a small warning, the cogs are most likely plastic of some kind. To protect them from the heat you may try putting the shaft in a bucket of water filled to about 2" below where you want to bend the shaft and heat it up, this is what you would do for working shell casings for rifles/handguns.

Good luck to you and let us know how it works out for you.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
do i bend it after i let it cool in oil?

·
Mad Snowshoveler
537 Posts
Here I'll make a little list.

-Put in bucket with the water 2" below the bend.
-Heat up
-Bend
-Heat up after you bend and dunk in oil to cool
-Heat up again let air cool.

BTW this is all at your own risk :) good luck! I've bent a few wrenches in my day and this is how I do it and keep the wrench strong. I imagine the principles apply here as well. And remember even if the steel looks cool to the touch it may not be! I hope you have experience with an oxy/acetylene torch?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ya i do have experience with that tourch and i was going to bend it in a vice would u agree?

·
Mad Snowshoveler
537 Posts
Yes, a second pair of hands could be very helpful. Just so nothing is dropped/burned or on you or anything else that can ignite :) You can use a metal ruler to make sure that the shaft is as straight as your going to get it without any kind of high tech measurements.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok thank you for the help

1 - 7 of 7 Posts