Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was out riding and suddenly there's a knocking coming from the engine compartment. I can feel it through the handlebars. Pop the hood and see nothing out of the way. Tip up on side with hood open and ran to engage the track and I still couldn't tell exactly where it was from. limped home and a few times punched it and as speed increased so did the knock. Sounds like a connecting rod would sound banging around. I took the belt off when I got home and ran the engine and it was quiet and the primary seemed to be working correctly. I pulled the secondary and checked the jackshaft bearings and the chaincase. Checked the drive bearings and nothing. I tried to take apart the secondary with no luck. I can spin the two sides seperate like loading the spring and there is spring tension but I cannot get the thing apart. From what I see in the manual they look simple enough. What in the secondary could or could it even cause the knocking. If it was the engine I should here the knock even without the load on it right? I'm clueless at this point so any input would be helpful, thanks sorry 87 indy trail bored .20 1000 miles ago. :confused:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I checked the belt and checked the primary and no luck. I tested it with a new secondary and still there. With the engine off and the belt off I moved the primary back and forth and I guess I'm hearing the same thing on a smaller scale from inside the crank. I did a compression test and both are 120. the engine seems to run good with no load but the minute you put the belt on it gets loud. What in the crank could make it knock like that without losing any power? Guess I'll be tearing it apart, seasons over:thumbsdown: Thanks for the comments and any future ones. gonna go at this one myself.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.