Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I want to upgrade the primary clutch on my 94 yamaha vmax 600 le i was just wondering what kind of clutch,springs,and weights would be good for my sled i just want to give alittle more zip and throttle response out of it. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
find any 95 or newer oem yamaha clutch and set to the 96 specs for the equivalent model. if you should happen upon a tall cover, look for compatable springs.

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
94 to current, including the 4 strokes are the same. some of the 98's and most after 99 had the taller cover. short cover springs wont work in the tall covers and tall cover springs wont in the short, but there are compatable spring colors per cover. short springs are coded by having the color swatches on different coils, tall springs are color swatched on the same coil. tall covers will have an 8DF marking.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You said to use a clutch of a 95 or newer and use the 96 specs. I was just wondering counldnt i just swap a clutch off a 96 yamaha vmax xt and put it on my to get the 96 specs.

·
Live 2 Ride
1,004 Posts
you wouldn't just keep your clutch and buy new spring and weights

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
You said to use a clutch of a 95 or newer and use the 96 specs. I was just wondering counldnt i just swap a clutch off a 96 yamaha vmax xt and put it on my to get the 96 specs.
xt and dx had different specs. give it a try, you may be pleasantly surprised. worst case would be a little clutch tuning. only way to tell is to go for.

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
you wouldn't just keep your clutch and buy new spring and weights
the idea was to get rid of the 94 clutch as it was prone to breaking the spider. it got to the point of "not if" but "when" it would break.

i broke 2 on my 94, back in 94. both were under warranty. in 95 and up the spiders were built differently and the issues went away. the clutch calibrations were also different to go with the upgraded secondary, and 95-96 seemed to pull alot harder.

·
Registered
106 Posts
On My 97 I took the fingers out and first took 1 gram off each outside wieght (ribit) Gained 300 rpm out of hole. Took apart again and took another gram off ,,,each arm is now 45grams. Clutch is no ingaging aruond 4000 And I can at least spin my rip saw track,,,,It was a wimpy braaaaa.,,,,Now it,s sounds and takes off way better
I,m a newbie, saw use info with caution
cheers

·
Live 2 Ride
1,004 Posts
On My 97 I took the fingers out and first took 1 gram off each outside wieght (ribit) Gained 300 rpm out of hole. Took apart again and took another gram off ,,,each arm is now 45grams. Clutch is no ingaging aruond 4000 And I can at least spin my rip saw track,,,,It was a wimpy braaaaa.,,,,Now it,s sounds and takes off way better
I,m a newbie, saw use info with caution
cheers
top speed go down?

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
so if i went with a clutch with a 96 specs should i upgrade the secondary clutch too.
you could if you wanted to. the new style reverse cam secondary will adapt to your sled with a few additional parts. i have one available if interested only ones from a 95 or 96 will fit. 97 and up wont.

i would make sure the belt tension is properly set as well as the correct positioning of the helix and spring on the secondary clutch you have now. you may have to add or remove a spring from inside the secondary to achieve the proper tension.

you need to run the sled and see what its doing, as well as knowing what weights, rivet combination, spring, and roller diameter is in the primary. other key factors include engagement rpm and full shift rpm. you can tune from there.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts