Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have an old 79 340 jag and it wont shift to the high gear new belt good deflection i have parts sled with both clutches and want to know which one needs to be switched? lift track off the ground both engage perfect. takes off but revs out when you try to go 15 or 20 mph will get to about 35 and revved out.

·
Live 2 Ride
1,004 Posts
are they getting hot, side of the belt look glazed?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
just replace belt yesterday havent checked for heat. watching it while trying to gain speed the belt wont ride to top of primary or bottom of secondary

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the side of the old belt was glazed sled ran fine two weeks ago ran outta gas sucked stuff onto fuel line took a week to fix that problem now this i dont know what could have happened all of a sudden

·
Live 2 Ride
1,004 Posts
sounds like a slipping belt to me, clean the clutch faces with some SOS pads or sand paper then blow them out real good

·
Registered
104 Posts
my guess is that it is in the secondary. I would pull it apart and check the shaft for some corrosion. soap and water and sos pad works good. then put a light, light coat of white lithium grease on the shaft. make sure the sheaves move back and forth real nice without the spring in there. also see what the helix looks like while you got it apart.
put er together and let er eat.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts