Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
on my 95 formula SS i have a slight problem,.. riding on a lake a couple days ago, shreded a belt at about 80-90 mph, got another one on, and now the clutch engauges at about 3700 rpms, but it makes the sled "surge" forward. the adj. bolts were at #6. i took the belt completely off to see whats going on, when the clutch does engauge it goes in about 1/3 of the way. i just moved the adj. bolts to #2 just to see what it would do, and now the clutch goes in more then half way at about 3600 rpms. when it does move, it goes in, in one quick jerk, not smoothly, when the rev goes down the clutch comes out slowly. so something either is wrong with the spring or the shoes,..... right?.... HELP ASAP!!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a '96 service manual so I am guessing that your '95 would be the same. Engagement RPM listed is 3700-3900 so your OK at 3700. TRA clickers should be on #3. The clickers only adj for shift RPM. Each click up should give 200 increase. As far as the clutch going in quickly and coming out more slowly that sounds normal. Everything sounds OK except not sure about your surge and what that excatly means.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no...

before this happened,.. it wasnt engaugeing til like 4500, right where i wanted it,... with the belt off and motor running... i should be able to slowly give it gas,.. and watch as the clutch moves in once it hits the engaugement point,.. it should move slowly,.. unless you gas it hard,... mine does not move until it gets to about 3600 rpms ( which is early compared to normal) but when it does start to move it does not go in slow at all,. it moves in, in one quick jerk, no matter how much gas you give it. just in my opinion it sounds like the spring might be broke or messed up.... just looking for a second opinion.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Why would you wnat it to come in at 4500 rpm? Your 670 make peak power by 7600. I think that would be the belt shredding problem. As far as jerking in pull the clutch and make sure that 1 of the o-ring on the alignment buttons didn't get out of place. If it did the button will push against the movable sheeve too hard and cause it to bind.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok...

right now,.. i just put new bushings in the clutch, cleaned everything,. replaced all the o-rings, and it still jerk on the very low end, one thing i noticed is that when i put the center bolt back on to hold the clutch,.. it moves it in alittle less then a 1/8" this gap is just enough that with it like that, it engauges at about 3800rpm, still less then i want, and i notice a big difference when going slow. that little difference makes it feel like the clutch is "upshifted" from take off,... there is no low end snap to it right now like there was......

1 - 5 of 5 Posts