Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1997 ZR 580 EFI and I was wondering about clutch spring replacements. The sled runs great and clutch engages at 4500 rpm. I have seen replacemet springs on-line and they seem to go by color. If I wanted the clutch to engage sooner (at a lower rpm) what color should I get and what can I expect for performance issues that might make me reconsider. I would like the sled to engage more like my 1995 Wildcat 700 EFI that kicks in about 3500. I dont care about top end speed as I dont go over 70 MPH anyway. (new to snowmobiles and bought both of these sleds just this month)

Thanks much for any comments or suggestions.

·
Registered
74 Posts
The two sleds you own have different torque curves which means the clutching is quite different too. Your 580 probably needs to rev a little higher to achieve the same torque as your Wildcat. I would not reduce engagement RPM since that will create a "bog" when you start out. If you want more of a rip off the start, try putting a stiffer spring in to raise the engagement. 4,500 rpm should be just about right though.

Also, 3,500 RPM seems kinda low for an engagement for a 700 Cat. My 650 Wildcat would engage about 4,800. If you want to replace a primary spring, I would change the one in your Wildcat. If there are many miles on the Wildcat, it could use a new spring and probably everything else in the clutch. I had to rebuild the primary in my 650 about every 1500 miles. Those twin "paintcans" really vibrate the hell out of everything.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I changed my yellow spring which engaged at 4600, to a red spring which engages around 3700. and there is a bog off the start, but I don't normally hammer it off the start. It is good for boondocking. The lower engagement helps your sled not to dig itself in. I like it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
The paintcans def vibrate, but I like it, it's rude! and has attitude. the new clutch works great....Im getting a D&D clutch kit for my sled. Should wake it up, my 700 engages at 35-3700. too low, got some bog, so im getting it bumped up!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts