Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know what the correct setting is on the secondary clutch? I have a 5, 3, and 1. Mine was set between 3 and 5 but i thought it might be pinching the belt. I re-set it to 3 but was wondering if their is a default setting that i should know about. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
18,338 Posts
The adjuster is used to compensate for belt wear. As the belt wears, you use the adjuster to keep the belt at it's optimum deflection. You move the adjuster cam clockwise to increase the distance between the sheaves, counterclockwise to decrease the distance between the sheaves. Don't rotate the cam adjuster past 1.

You want to adjust the sheaves to have about 1/8" of belt riding outside of the secondary, or a belt deflection of 1 1/4".

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I went from 4 to 3 and the belt is now even with the top of the cam. The stalling seemed to stop but the rpm's still go way way down almost to a stall when i lock the brake up. I'm thinking of moving the setting down to 2 or 1. What do you think? I know you are suppose to have the belt above the cam by 1/8" but lowering it seems to have helped.

·
Super Moderator
18,338 Posts
Sometimes testing gets you what you want and it's not exactly what the factory says. It can't hurt to give it a try, you can always put it back. If you are killing the engine with braking, I would look at the primary. It is probably sticky and not letting go as quickly as it should. Try blowing both clutches out with compressed air, and maybe give 'em a good cleaning. Look in the primary for a black ring of rubber residue low in the sheaves. If there is one, that should be cleaned out. I use Simple Green and a green Scotchbrite pad, don't be gentle. The surface of the clutch shouldn't be totally smooth. A rough texture will grip the sides of the belt better.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts