Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, so I’ve read a few other threads and I don’t quite understand what set up for clutches is the best in powder. Some guys have said u want a low engagement so u don’t trench, so to put heavier weights in the primary and also a low angle helix in the secondary so the secondary has a slower upshift and results in more torque to the track because it maintains a lower gear for longer. Other guys have said the opposite, to put light weights in the primary to get higher of the line torque, and a steeper helix to get quicker backshift so to get back to the low gear quicker and have more torque if you have to slow down on a hill in powder. So I would just like to know which is correct, or if it’s just a personal preference.

·
Super Moderator
16,806 Posts
I pretty much ride what Polaris put in the sled, they know more about setup for mountain sleds than I do. The stock parts work pretty well. I am sure if I wanted to toss a bunch of money at springs and such and do a bunch of testing, I could maybe find something that works a bit better for me than the stock setting, but I'm not willing to expend the time or money.

I would be careful going with heavier weights, as your engine may not be able to pull the weight and the wide open RPM may go down below the powerband. There are weights that have rivets that you can add or subtract to fine tune the weight, that may be an option. If you want a lighter or heavier engagement, I would work with the primary spring instead. Lighter- go with a spring with a lighter initial force and about the same fully shifted force. Heavier- heavier initial force, same fully shifted.

You do want a softer engagement to keep from trenching, but a quicker backshift to get back on the power is just as important.

With either, just learning to work with the sled to get it to do what you want is key. Getting stuck is part of the game ;)
The bggest bang for the buck would be to get a track with a deeper lug, short lugged tracks are horrible in the powder, regardless of the clutch setup.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts