Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
XC Sled Dog
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am rebuilding both clutches on a 1997 Polaris XC 600 (Fuji Triple) with SLP triple pipes. The previous owner put a Hot Seat clutch kit on it, with 10-46 gram weights and a 36X helix. It has front and rear white springs but I don't know the brand or anything else about them.

I was advised to install a SLP 40-3 black secondary spring and a Polaris dark blue #7041080 primary spring, but to do so in conjunction with a new SLP 42/36 progressive helix. My Hot Seat 36X helix is in pretty good shape although the ramp buttons in the secondary were almost completely gone and it was just starting to grind metal on metal on the very tips. The anodized surface was worn off a bit but not so bad as to change the angles or damage the ramp buttons. HERE IS MY QUESTION: If I keep my Hot Seat clutch, can I still use the 10-46 weight, SLP 40-3 secondary spring, and Polaris blue primary spring set up or is that only formulated for use with the SLP 42/36 progressive helix?

1st related question: Upon disassembly I found that the secondary spring was in hole #5 (of 5). I assumed it would be in #3. What is recommended?

2nd related question: The guide buttons on the spider are pretty worn down and the surface of the spider has grooves in it. Are the worn grooves a problem, or because the spider simply moves in a linear motion, are they not a problem. The sled has 5000 miles on it and some wear is to be expected but I don't know how perfect of a surface it needs to slide on.

Thanks, your advice is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
24,890 Posts
OK what is wrong with the clutching besides the buttons worn? Is there a reason you don't just replace them? Is engagment too low, Is full shift rpm too high? What does SLP recomend those pipes shift out at?

·
XC Sled Dog
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The clutch was last rebuilt in 2000, about 4000 miles ago. Everything needs replacing, rollers, pins, buttons, and I am sure the springs have fatigued enough to warrant replacing them as well.

I am in this project because I had a lot of difficulty shifting at 7000 rpm, appx 30-40 mph on trails at the end of last season. The problem with the shifting was one roller bushing that was 1/2 gone and another with a major flat spot. I tore everything down and now am about to reassemble with new guts. I want to put in the recommended parts from SLP; the Black 40-3 spring and the blue primary spring, and the 10-46 weights. The only part of the equation that isn't SLP recommended is the Hot Seat 36X helix. I really can't spend $100 on a new SLP helix, so I am wondering if the SLP spring and weight set-up will mesh with my existing helix.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts