Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Clutch or Track????????

Went out ice fishing today for the first time this winter using my 2002 Arctic Cat 4 stroke touring machine. I've had since i bought it brand new and have taken good care of it. it has very low hours.

But today when I went to drive it back into the bed of the truck, it stopped right at the top of the ramp and started making a heck of a racket. And I had no traction. The track wasn't spinning, but I think the teeth that engage into the track were spinning and I think that is what was making the racket.

It was dark and I am not a spring chicken any more so I could turn it over to see.

I finally got it home - but man what a struggle getting it into the truck. It weighs a ton - at least for this old timer.

The engine runs fine but it won't move in reverse or forward. Just a major clunking noise.

Do you think it is the clutch or is it possible the track has disengaged from the teeth underneath. Is that possible????

Appreciate your thoughts.

·
Sconnie
1,745 Posts
Does your sled have diamond drive?

at any rate, it could be three things. One, your belt is very bad, and the clunking you hear is when a thin part of the belt goes through the clutches. i doubt this is the case however as the sled didn't move at all

secondly, it could be in the chaincase (or diamond drive if you have that). A snapped chain would be most likely, or possibly a stripped gear) i would put my money on the chain in this case

thirdly, it could be the track/drive sprocket area you mentioned. This would happen if your track is very very loose. You might have noticed clunking and loss of power during heavy acceleration if this were the case. unless you have cracked a drive sprocket. Inspect your track for excess looseness, and your drive sprockets for visible wear.

Next step would be to run your sled, with the track up in the air (on a stand), hit the gas, and try to determine where the noise is coming from, and where the transfer of power from one driveline component to another stops. If your jackshaft is still spinning, but your driveshaft isn't, it's in the chaincase. if you hear the noise coming from the clutch area, it's your clutches or belt.

·
Sconnie
1,745 Posts
see what I said in your other post. no need to post it twice for future reference...

·
Rick
3,070 Posts
sounds like the track is loose to me. pick up the rear and see how low it hangs.

·
Rick
3,070 Posts
look to see if it is the track first. it's the easy look first. just pick up the rear end and if the track hangs down even like a inch or so by it's self i would say that is it. if it is fine look at the drive sprockets under it while it is up. if all fine then go to what kccats said.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts