Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

More problems already! Although minor I hope.

My 2001 SXR seems to be having either a belt or clutch issue and I want to determine which before I go start spending money. I will probably get a belt anyway but would like some insight into what is happening and if there is a possibility that I can fix it myself.

First understand that I am not a mechanic and I really know very little about the bits of an engine. I know what most parts are and what they do, and how they work, but nothing too specific.

So, the problem

This scared the crud out of me the first time it happened because I thought I had a serious engine problem. Was riding along, then slowed down (almost stopping, no throttle on, was pretty much 'rolling' the tracks) and when I tried to give it some gas again to start moving the engine came up but would not rev up very high and I was not moving at all. I tried letting the throttle down again back to idle and rev again and same thing.

I let go of the throttle and started to open the hood but as soon as I did that the engine noise started to sound more normal. Reved again and was fine. Took off just like it should.

I rode around for about 2 or 3 hours with 0 issues, then again when I was about to quit, was just returning to my access trail I slowed at a stop sign on the trail and the same thing happened. Once again I just let it sit at idle for about 1-3 seconds and it sounded fine and I could move again.

I rode again several times having the exact same issue, as long as I am keeping over 15-20 mph it never happened. Ever. It would only happen from either a dead stop or when I was slowing down to near stop.

Now, last time I started it I had an issue where it seemed like the clutch stuck (I think?) because when I started it I got quite a lot of smoke and rubber smell. Looked like it was coming from the clutch. But I moved the sled off the ground (i think the track was semi frozen to the ground, just a bit) and it caught again but it still smoked for a little while.

So, I talked the dealership where I bought some parts earlier and the mechanic said it's probably just the belt. He said if the spring in the clutch was bad then it would happen EVERY time and I would go nowhere until it was fixed.

I am going to replace my belt tonight to try it and see if that is the case but does anyone else have any ideas? if it IS the clutch and not the belt what am I looking at as far as cost and time for fix?

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
if you smoked the belt, you may have glazed the clutches or even burnt an "hourglass" into the belt. before installing the new belt, check both clutches for belt rubber residue. on your other issues sounds like they may be TORS (throttle overide system). was it kinda a bang,bang,bang sound until you let off the throttle and sled idled down? its a safety feature related to throttle cable positioning as a couple of switches tied in there. could be as simple as not enough cable freeplay or the cable was hanging up, or even issues with the switches themselves. easy to test. second guess would be perhaps the secondary wasnt backshifting, hanging open, and was slipping the belt.

·
Registered
794 Posts
I dont beleive your problem is with the belt or clutch I had very simular symptoms with my vmax a couple seasons ago. when you say the engine sounds different and then clears up and runs normal is exactly what was happening to me. My girlfriend was riding the sled and when she would come to a stop sometimes the sled just didnt want to move the engine didnt sound quite right either then within a few seconds the engine would just smooth out and it would run fine for a while???

I think your problem lies with the boots on the end of your spark plug wires unsrcew the boot that clips onto your spark plug from the end of the wire and if you have an ohmeter check for resistance through the boot they should show little or no resistance but a bad one will show high resistance or possibly completely open. I know this sounds a little strange but I am betting this is your issue. I changed out all three boots as two of mine were showing high resistance and havent had this issue happen again.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds like TORS! I did some searching and it sounds exactly like what is going on. Some small bangs and the RPMs stay low until I let it sit long enough!

What are some steps I can take to verify this and fix it!

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
first thing to do is validate the condition of the existing cable. make sure its in good shape, not fraying or sticking. next you want to check the freeplay on the cable. there should be 2-3mm of slack at the thumb lever before the cable engages the carb rack. you need to pay close attention as the lever will pivot on the perch. find the pivot point, hold back on the pin toward the bar end, engage the lever and check the gap. test and report back.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Allright!

I did some playing with it on sunday (actually, about 10-15 min adjusting it) and Bam! Works like a dream now!

Sure enough, I checked my throttle free play and there was none, it always had a small amount of tension on the throttle cable. So I adjusted that to get 2mm of play (per the service manual's recommendation) and I have yet to have the same problem as before. I do need to readjust my idle properly though. The idle was adjusted for the throttle always having some tension on it. Easy fix though, I just need to take a few min to find the sweet spot.

I do need to change my belt though still. When I start it now I am burning lots of rubber off of it. After it heats up it starts grabbing again though. I think it's just a little to worn for wear.

After this I believe my sled woes are over!

Thank you everyone for your help! (especially yamadad!)

·
Registered
58 Posts
no b/s i was just having the same excact problems couldnt find out nothing got scared got the compresion tester all good thought it was a clutch problem so i just haked my old belt off and decided i would clean the clutches ran some sandpaper across it took the air gun to it wiped down with brake cleaner and bam this ol bit<h is on the go again

1 - 7 of 7 Posts