Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey! Im a Clothing Design Undergraduate student at the Swedish School of Textiles.
Im doing a project on Garment requirements on snowmobiling to see if there is any room for improvement.
I have a couple start-up questions:

1. How many layers does it require to keep warm?
2. What type of security gear do you use?
3. is there anything in your security gear you are unhappy with, or gets uncomfortable, or needs adjusting/improving?
4. What materials are the functional garments?
5. Do you wish any improvements to the layers were made?

·
Super Moderator
2,075 Posts
Welcome
Basic layering
Under armor / long underwear
Pants / sweat pants / lined jeans
Cat bibs and jacket and full face helmet wit heated shield

Unlike most of the Mountain riders whom over heat, trail riding at -25 deg F is cold!

·
Registered
151 Posts
You left to many variables on the table. What temperature are you talking about? Riding style?
Number of layers depends on what each layer is. If it's warmer (20F+) then I only need a waterproof layer. Really cold, I might have on polypropylene, wool, and Gortex in up to 4 or 5 layers.
I'm not sure I understand what you mean by security gear?
Improvements: lighter and more maneuverable is always good, and lower cost.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
I stopped riding at anything below -20F a long time ago. Now I don't ride at -10F or colder unless I'm going to my cabin.

That said, I'm usually just wearing a T-shirt and maybe sweater/fleece, usually un-zipped. Of course, my Skidoo coat is good to about -40F, so the only reason I have the fleece on is so I can have something to wear when I take off my coat.

Almost always just wear jeans under the snow-bibs.

If it is -10F or colder, I will put wool socks on, but my wool lined boots are usually good for just about anything. The only time I've ever had cold feet was after getting a bunch of snow down my boot. If I would have had my normal riding socks (duck brand), my feet probably would not have gotten cold. I was wearing just normal cotton socks at the time.

If you're designing clothing, keep in mind the electronics. It is always nice to have a pocket that can hold standard smartphones inside and insulated so it can stay warm.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts