Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok well its 91 phazer2 new wiseco pistons. rejetted last year, forgot what jets but 2 sizes bigger than stock due to after market pipe, and over bore.
this thing smokes bad, runs on A cylinder both with good compression. question to smallengineguy... having read most of the threads b4 my post, air bleed or pilot bleed like a common problem on these sleds? i had a bog the first season i rebuilt it, (it screwed pulling the ski)the next season b4 and after a new crank seal which didnt do didly, and piston number three, wouldnt go over 40..now its hardly moving.
im pretty sure all my choke cables are freed up, clutches where checked, and i have no garage. should i pull the carbs and check bleeds?

·
I am Spartacus
23,863 Posts
If it's smoking really bad and bogs it could be that the chokess aren't shutting off all the way. Does it clear up as it gets faster. I've got an 85 V-Max that bogs like mad at idle, but top end is great. Are the plugs black and oily?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yea, ive never seen plugs foul this bad. the 1st year it ran great, then i hit a large jump, and after that it would foul a plug after an hour or so. so the next year (it sat outside) and wouldnt go over 40.
it really does run like the choke is stuck but both of the cables are free. its not to bad out today maybe ill pull the carbs off and go through em again. the second time i tore the engine down i had a stuck ring it was all carboned up. anyways thanks for the free advise.

·
I am Spartacus
23,863 Posts
Even if the chokes move freely, make sure they are going down ALL the way when released. If it's adjusted too tightly, they won't seal and they'll add fuel constantly.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
finally, got to pull the carbs off S.E.G, just as you said. the choke wasnt going in all the way. the bore for the pin was all scored, cleaned it up runs like a dream. i just hope it goes over 40mph this time! thanks again man. now if only we can get a snow storm lol its 50 degrees outside. can you help me with that to?lol

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
oh and the bog off the line is gone too! PULLED THE SKIS IN THE DRIVEWAY!! sorry man but i cant beleive after all this time. cant wait to see what it will do since last time i ported the jugs.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well SEG just took it out around my delightful little neiborhood, despite the sick low end this sled still wont go over 40. just cuts out. pulled the plugs, have a lean condition on one cyl, and the other is normal. jumps snow banks good though. i think its time to tie strap the throttle and aim for a tree. time for a newer sled maybe???

·
I am Spartacus
23,863 Posts
Not fueling enough at higher RPM's....Might have to go up another size on the main jet on the lean carb. You're getting there, though...

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
sell it to meeee!!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hey seg, could it be possible i got a weak fuel pump? pumps like crazy when i turn it over. just got done testing the coil. its good, found that with my end boots on it was open(ohms). i put a couple of accel boots on and it tested good. no differance to the sled though. ran it on my sled stand still breaks up b4 the powerband. i guess thats all that left. as far as jetting goes it ran great the first season.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ok cleaned the carbs again, (4th or fifth time) my last new pair of ngks went in, all new lines ,rebuilt fuel pump ,tested good coil tryed a couple differant pilot screw settings, chokes are working now, (thanks to SEG)wont go over 40 and i think the neibors are getting pissed.

reeds anybody? could a bad rotten reed cause this? cdi? help!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
plugs are both black now but not oily at all. kinda looks normal except one of them is black at the very end of the electrode and still looks new at the other end, and the other electrode is all black. . i dont think i really got to ride enough though to tell yet. i only took it up to 40 once and came back out of frustration

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
pulled the reeds out , has boysen reeds noticed acouple were stuck open. who knows. giving up this year again. looking at a 02 mxz adrenaline 800

1 - 17 of 17 Posts