Snowmobile Forum banner

Check out the weekends destruction!!

7K views 19 replies 14 participants last post by  musicfreako 
#1 ·
So, yesterday.

With all the rain we had here a while ago, the snow melted down to about a 2 inch base. Well, with it like that, the sled hooks up like crazy. I was out pulling wheelies and jumping the driveway for a few hours. While I hit the gas on one of the wheelies, I all of a sudden heard a BOOM rifle shot right next to my head. the hood lifted up like 3 inches even with the straps on. lost all power, coasted to a stop. Check out what happened! Can't believe how much damage there was, it really put the grenade in grenaded chaincase! almost got it fixed today, just need a tensioner still...

pics of the parts laid out on the rag, the only reusable part was the top gear. only could find about 10 inches of chain. there was piles of metal debris in the area, about 2 handfuls worth. You can see how powerfully it went off by the big dent it left in the muffler.

lol is all i can say. at least i had almost all the spare parts to get her back together today.

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
was a mix of fertilizer and zippo lighters.... lol ya. was on the rxl. was just about to sell it too.

#7 ·
all i can figure is that the chain was old and broke, then bunched up and slingshotted out.
idler/tensioner was good, bearings were good, had good lube...

#9 ·
good work! thats even worse than mine was from my track blow out at the radar runs last year! your lucky you had spare parts, I laid out a good chunk of change for every part in those pics!

#12 ·
better recheck that top gear, the last picture looks like it has 1 tooth missing.

#14 ·
that is amazing! who needs dynamite when you can have a chaincase?

#15 ·
got it almost all done now, just waiting on the tensioner still.
had a spare chaincase, gears, chain sitting around, just had to pick up some new seals and bearings.
also bent up my brake assembly. was able to straighten out the messed up parts, it'll work for now. yeah, it crushed the relay and also tore some wires out of the ignition and by my battery, still have to solder those back together. another day i'll have her going again.

#16 ·
so your sellin your rxl? What are you going to buy now haha.

#17 ·
might be getting out of sledding for a year. Money and time don't come easily in college. I have so many projects going on right now that i need to cut down.

So the sleds going as soon as she's fixed. Won't buy one for the rest of this winter... I'll see where i'm at next fall, if i have the cash i'll try for a rev. in the meantime if i get the itch i can ride with my father on his sleds.

but with a bike, sleds, truck, dune buggy, school projects, and grades, it's just getting hard to balance everything. time to just lay low for a while in terms of projects...

#19 ·
yeah. problem was i had no idea why this happened, only thing i can figure is that the chain was just old. good bearings, good idler, good fluid. all the bolts were in there proper spot, albiet ripped in half or twisted...

#20 ·
Makes me feel so lucky that when my chain broke last season on mine, it just laid down in the case and broke nothing. We're at the opposite end of the spectrum, but both to the extreme. Sorry about your misfourtune...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.