Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Well guys I havent been around much, Ive had too many things going on. Some very sad as some of you know about my father, but last Thursday I finally had something good happen to me!:thumbsup:

I picked up a 2006 Polaris Indy 500 with 2000 miles from a buddy for $1500 bucks! :eek: He ran into a financial bind when his trucking gig went completely south and was really hurting for cash. The sled had been sitting since a month from the end of the season last year. Actualy the same night I crashed my 600 if any of you remember that post. The sled was hit from the back and the other sleds ski rode up the rear bumper, jabbed my buddy in the ribs, and tipped both sleds over. (what he though were broken ribs turned out to be the wind knocked out of him thank God!)

During that little mishap the track got slipped sideways on the bogeys and was half off the rear suspension, giving the illusion that the rear suspension rails were bent. So he took the skid out and compeltely dissasembled it, only to find out it was perfectly fine. And then it sat....and sat... and sat. He had no time nor money to put it back together and get a windshield for it. So long story short(er?) the sled needed the rear skid pieced back together, a windshield, and a good cleaning!

Picked up a windshield, some bogeys that his brother decided to "borrow", a driveshaft bearing, slides and a rear axle tensioner for it and was set to go! All said and done it was about 100 in parts and 1500 for the sled. (actually I wasnt prepared to buy it, and was only able to give 1000 down and 500 when i get it :eek: )

Its a beautiful sled in my opinion, and will be replacing the XCR 440 I currently own. My girlfriend will ride it when were out together so she finally has a reliable sled to ride and every other time I ride I will have the choice between this one and my 600. Most my big pics are when I first got it, covered in an inch of dust with the rear skid out, but my girlfriend did take one cell phone pic once I got it together. Its in the back of my truck all washed up and puurrrty right now, Ill get more pics tommorow! Thanks for reading my book, and enjoy! :D

and the last pic is just a generic google image of this exact sled.

Attachments

·
ZR rider
2,064 Posts
Nice!

·
---------(PI488)---------
2,742 Posts

·
2,742 Posts
nice sled dude!!

·
2,742 Posts
hows the 600 doin?

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
600s doing well actually. its like a whole new sled this year. put that AAEN pipe on it and stole the 1 1/4 track with 96 1 1/2" carbide tipped studs. so its a real fun sled right now!

·
2,742 Posts
Nice dude! Sorry bout the multi posts comp caught a virus and had to delete everything!! do any miles yet?

·
Sconnie
1,745 Posts
nice sled man!

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sure is! the super dependable 488 Fuji! Just updated with the more modern Mikuni flat slide "rack" carbs vs the round slides they used forever. And man is it an awesome runner! Maybe its the chassis but it REALLY feels like its got quite a bit more snort than the older Indy 500s Ive ridden. It had been sitting over a year and fired on the 2nd pull! With only 2000 miles it should be a very dependable awesome trail cruiser for a long time! Im glad I found the windshield I did, even though someone scotch brited the polaris decal off the front. The black windshield really helps the looks out vs the stocker clear one.
One thing I would really like to add is a tachometer, as it was an option on these sleds apparently. Its also got the keyswitch and position for electric start, but no starter motor..was never equipped. But the good thing is the ol lady started it 4 times by herself last saturday night at -12 degrees! so if she can start this one on her own maybe I wont worry about it.

Hey Yamaha440ss, what was the fastest you ever got your black indy 500 up to? I had this one up about 85-87 mph on a trail on sunday, and it felt solid, comfortable, and stable as can be. I feel like in perfect conditions and if I was really trying I could have got it up to 90, but I didnt stay on it for a real long stretch. But honestly, 0-60 is surprisingly fast!

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
:) thats the plan! good way to keep the ol lady on the snow too! buy her a nicer sled than mine, and one that rides like a dream!

·
Trevor
4,135 Posts
The highest on gauge I saw my Indy was just barely 90, and that was tapped out for a long time on a very packed down flat lake. It must be pretty responsive with flat slides on it! Keep up on the basic maintenance and that sled will last for a long time! Here's my old beut. Boy do I kinda miss it! Mine almost looks new in this pic! haha. Them indy 500's are definitely a really fun sled to ride! It sure isn't as quick as my xc, but they are definitely fun sleds!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ya I have a feeling she would do in the same range for speed. Its all stock gearing and I plan to leave it that way. I noticed this things a whole different animal than my XC600... I love riding standing up and jumping things, finding deep stuff to lay it on its side and carve circles with, etc... while the 06 isnt as comfortable standing with no riser but its WAY more comfortable sitting down and throwing my weight around. Just keepin a nice pace on the trail the other day i was doing 75mph through some pretty twisty stuff! felt like 40!

·
Trevor
4,135 Posts
Even a 2 inch riser will help a lot, but won't affect sitting down, and infact, it might actually help make it more comfy.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
thanks BC Dan! I absolutely couldnt pass up the deal. An 06 edge for 1500 bucks?! it could have been a 340 and been a good deal! And YamiSS, I have thought a little about the riser but am still undecided as it will in turn be the girlfriends decision. She doesnt like the risers on my 600, but they are 3 1/2". I may just leave it stock and ride it... all those things I would love to do to it are the reaason Im keeping my 600, and then I dont have to worry about tipping it over, taking out small trees, and just plain riding it hard :)

EVeryone I know keeps asking me why I dont give her my 600 and keep the newer sled and they just dont understand that I really dont mind riding the older sled, its more suited towards my riding style... and Im not scared to beat on er a little bit :) Plus I know if she is riding the thing it will last a lot longer haha! even though she will probably get out on it about 1/2 as much as I do with her work schedule... but anytime she can come ride its ready and waiting! And the other times when its just me... its nice to have options! :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.