Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey im new here, I ride a 1996 Ski-doo Formula Sl, its a rotax 500 motor. But what i am wondering is how do i drain and refil my chaincase oil... it looks like i can just crack it open and let it drain becasue there is a hole underneath it. Could anyone tell me exaclty how to saftley drain the chaincase oil.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
oh yeah and thanks in advance

·
King of the Universe
6,674 Posts
Many sleds have a drain plug on the inside of the case (under the tunnel?). Your idea of pulling the cover is not all that bad.....you can clean out he gunk, check gears, chain & tensioner while you're there!!:thumbsup:

·
King of the Universe
6,674 Posts
Oh yeah!! You're welcome!!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
you just have to pull the cover and let it come out in the belly pan. it sucks, but thats the way they did it. once off like IRS said, check your chain over for broken links and your gears for wear and chips. adjust it properly, clean everything up really good and put it all beack together.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
oh yea..... dont forget to fill it up with lube :cheeky4:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
you mean chaincase oil..so lube=chaincase oil...cuz if i was dumb ide throw like chain lube in that *****...but im not....lol hey almost forgot....check my website

ENTER FORUM

·
Registered
13 Posts
Polaris Indy SKS 600 tripple - same question

Hi,

I have a '94 Polaris Indy 600 and I was going to change out the chaincase oil too, but no drain plug or any mention of how to do this in my owners manual (although it shows the location of the drain plug for the wide-track version of the sled). I thought I read a post were someone turned the sled on it's side to get the oil out. Anyone tried this? It seems crazy to me not to have a drain plug somewhere.

Kevin Woolard

·
Registered
782 Posts
I would think I would rather crack the seal on the case first. I watched them at the shop on my polaris 600 trip. they used s suction pump and a length of tube.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Gaskets/o-rings are cheap, plus you get the benefit of the cleaning and inspection. Better to find a potential problem in the shop than out in the middle of nothing.:D

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
there is an O-ring that seals it, i have NEVER had to change one from servicing. even when i raced watercross and had it apart five times a day every weekend it was still good. i would never suck it out and just re-fill, that is poor servicing and being lazy:thumbsdown:

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
Old thread. 2007. suck it out, remove the cover and let it drain, turn the machine on its side and drain out the fill hole. Do a chain case mod and put in a drain hole...

After changing the chain lube once, I decided to put a drain plug in the chain case cover. It wasn't all the way at the bottom, but I could use a turkey baster to suck out the last little bit.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts