Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive started to notice metal shavings in my oil, i have a 9indy 500 classic and i was just wondering how to change the chaincase oil in it, my buddy said i had to split the cases but i dont see that being true. Thanks

·
Administrator
18,864 Posts
on my 90 650, you have to remove the exhaust and remove the chaincase cover. I use a suction gun to remove most of the fluid before removing the cover to minimize the mess; you can also tip the sled on it's side away from the chain case and then the chain case will hold all the fluid for you to soak up before it leaks into the belly pan.

It's a good idea to take the cover off from time to time, just to inspect the gears and chain. There could be surprises waiting for you to find. Good luck!

·
Registered
11 Posts
polaris chaincase oil has graphite or something similar ,it looks like metal shavings on the oil stick ,this could be what you see or maybe not , worth checking

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
polar765 said:
polaris chaincase oil has graphite or something similar ,it looks like metal shavings on the oil stick ,this could be what you see or maybe not , worth checking
No its shavings because i checked about 300K before and it had none:thumbsdown:

·
Administrator
18,864 Posts
shavings are normal wear and tear, unless there are major chunks, it's usually not an indication of a major problem. That's why you want to open it up to check and to clean things out. The newer sleds have a dip-stick with a magnet to catch 'em.. my 1990 didnt.. not sure about the 500.

·
The Snow Man
142 Posts
On my 98 440 Indy there is a drain plug you can get to from under the sled. It is a Torque plug (not sure what size). I changed mine once this way but ever since it has seized and I have never been able to remove it. So rather than risk breaking something I just remove the cover like everyone else said to do.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I have a 98 600 and there is a plug in the chain case wuth a hole in the belly pan.
I had the same thing happen to mine the E clip for the reverse pawls came out and was ground up in the gears.
Take it apart and find out what it is causing the metal bits.

·
Registered
35 Posts
The dipstick actually has a magnet on the end to pick up small metal shavings... it's worth changing the oil though if you havn't in a while. Like everyone said, even if you have a drain plug, it's better to take the cover off and inspect everything than to just drain it and add new oil. Look for cracks or chips in the chain and gears. Check the tension. To do that put slight reverse pressure on the system by grabbing the secondary (or brake disk) and rotatating it backwards (counter clockwise). Then, push on the longest part of the chain (oposite side as the tensioner), there should be about 1/4" to 3/8" deflection with slight pressure. Also, when you take the cover off, there will be a thin rubber gasket that fits into a grove. Make sure it isn't damaged. The gasket is a long stip and not 1 piece, so when you put it back on make sure that joint is at the top of the chaincase.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've just taken possession of a sound 1990 Polaris Indy Classic 500, two-up with Reverse mechanical. Doing a pre-season check and I can't find any dipstick to check the chaincase oil. Am I missing anything, or is there no dipstick/ And if s, do I have to open the case to check & change fluid and if so, how do I add fluid to an open case with no visible "Add" access point. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
It may be a matter of draining the old, pulling the cover and inspecting, putting the cover back on, then adding the recommended amount of oil. Cases with reverse usually have a bigger capacity. It seems most standard cases are about 8oz...reverse usually 12oz. But someone here should be able to get you the exact amount for your machine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts