Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have done this on my ATV's before but can't figure out how to change the belt on this 97 XLT RMK. On my ATV there were threaded holes to drive three bolts into the second pulley to spred it out allowing the belt to be removed / installed.

I don't see anything like that on this one. Do I have to remove that large sheet metal cover that is held on by several torxe screws?

Is there an on line description somewhere or could someone give me a hint? (I am new to snowmobiles and haven't had these sleds very long and they didn't come with an owners manual, though I am ordering a shop manual.....)

Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
simple....to remove,
open clutch cover, grab the inside sheave of your driven clutch rotate it up. (there will be resistance) the outside will not move. While holding the inside sheave yank up on the top of belt. This will 'sink' the bottom of the belt down into the clutches and give you slack to roll the belt over the outside sheave you'll be able to get the belt most of the way around the cutch when/if it gets tight again rotate whole driven clutch clockwise and/or have some roll the sled backwards about 8" with track turning. then take belt off of drive clutch. (the drive clutch is connected to the engine, the driven clutch is the one towards the back of sled)

to install,
Slip belt over drive clutch, place belt (like it should normaly ride into clutch) on the top part of driven clutch. (the bottom part of belt should be hanging outside of outer sheave) Again rotate driven clutch clockwise and/or drag sled (with track turning) back about 18". reinstall cover!

** note** when belt is installed correctly you should be able to read the numbers on the belt from the left side of sled. (NOT them being upside down)
05SDI

1 - 3 of 3 Posts