Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was on some other threads saying how I always use 80W 90 gear oil in my chain case and never had a problem, but I am now eating crow and switching to synthetic chain case lube. Here is what made me change my mind. A service bulletin from John Deere a long time ago. They used to always recommend SAE 90 in JD LiquiFire's in the early 1980's.

O.M.-M67673/79 for 1978 Cyclone/Liquifire recommending SAE 90 if oil must be added

O.M. for 1979 Trailfires neglected to indicate oil type but the 1980 O.M. continued with the SAE 90 recommendation

O.M. for 1982 Models specificly recommend API-GL5 (SAE 90)

Service Information Bulletin From John Deere M81-50-9

Problem: SAE 90 oil does not always flow during initial operation in colder snowmobiling temperatures

Solution: Use J.D. Hy-Gard TY6237 or ATF in chain case.

This is what I was told by an old JD mechanic
"There is a synthetic chain case lube that is preferable for all chain cases silent or not. Use this in place of oil."

"In case someone is wondering, 90wt gear lube in cold temperatures doesn't lubricate. Evidence of this problem is shot or seized chains, worn or broken toothed gears, melted bearing seals, loose bearings not cause by rust, and of course shot tension adjusters. Extreme damage may occur to case if chain snaps and or bearings disintegrate."

Enough said. I'm eating Crow. I am switching to the synthetic chain case lube.

·
King of the Universe
6,674 Posts
Takes a big man!! We all do it at one time or another....like SEG said, "Welcome to the club!!";)

·
Registered
221 Posts
Well damn, i had the syn lube and everyone said to get 80-90w gear lube so i did. Now what?? Whats a good lube? For cheap, the local dealer has xps synthetic for $18-12oz.......that is crazy.

·
Super Moderator
16,693 Posts
Lots of people use ATF, it works great in transfer cases for 4x4 trucks. Cheap, too! My personal belief is that you can probably use just about any type of oil in there, as long as it is thin enough to lubricate properly in really cold conditions and you check it often to make sure it's not low. I put chaincase lube in mine this year, probably going to go to ATF next year.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ethan31 you can order this from manufactures supply. This is a 12 oz bottle for $6.99 your chain case probably only takes about 6 ozs. Here is the link. SPEC-CCL - Spectro Full Synthetic Chain Case Oil

SPEC-CCL - Spectro Full Synthetic Chain Case Oil

Spectro Full Synthetic Chaincase Oil is designed to give your snowmobile maximum performance and protection, even at temperatures below -50 F. Lubricates all chains, bearings and roller bearings. Spectro's advanced formula prevents wear, rust, oxidation & foaming. Meets or exceeds manufactures specifications. Compatible with all mineral based oils. 12 oz bottle.

Suggested Retail Price: $8.00
Our Price: $6.99

·
Registered
165 Posts
i got 12 ounces of amsoil synthetic snowmobile/atv chain case oil from an auto parts store, i forget how much it was exactly but i know i wasn't anywhere near $18.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Amsoil is like $7 on there site.

The reason i got the xps stuff is, its the only place around and i needed at the time. I about shit when they asked for $18. I googled it and online its like 8$.....robbers

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yea but add at least $6 for shipping and handling. I am ordering some but am also getting some other stuff with it like spark plugs so shipping is still $6

·
Above The Arctic Circle
512 Posts
I used to use the gear oil but I switched to ATF and it seems to do better.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
just good ole fastion ATF? i found like 6 differnent kinds last night at walwart :confused:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts