Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Sled Of The Month Judge
2,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do check the chaincase oil? It's a 1979 Exciter 440. it doesn't have a dipstick, and the filler plug, is above the overflow/breather, so if I fill it up to the filler hole, it will overflow.

·
'93 Phazer and The Kid
1,145 Posts
I'll try and get this started. Sounds to me the overflow/breather is an oil overflow? If you add oil thru the filler hole and it comes out the overflow, it's full. I believe most gearcases hold only about 8.5oz of oil. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong......

·
Sled Of The Month Judge
2,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well the breather is 3/4 of the way up, so i'd have to dump a quart, not the 8 oz the manufacturer recommends.

·
'93 Phazer and The Kid
1,145 Posts
Your best bet may be to change it. Clean everything, check for wear and replace with 8oz of fresh oil........

·
Registered
39 Posts
There is a small philips head screw on the main body of the chaincase, inside the right vented footwell. Take a flashlight and look, you can see it and reach it with a long screwdriver. I was told that is your full level, when lube comes out that hole the case is full. I have to swap mine out, im gonna take the lazy way home and flush it through that hole for now.

·
Sled Of The Month Judge
2,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, I looked on a spare parts chaincase, and thought that was what the manual (clymer) was referring to, but wanted to be sure. I didn't wan't too little oil in there.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Yeah it seems like very little lube, but at high speeds splash from the chain spreads it around nicely :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts