Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Totally new here.
My 600 Mountain Cat (2002 efi) seems to be burning a lot of oil. It almost uses the oil reservoir up for every tankful of gas.
The dealer said that is way too much and replaced the oil pump after checking the settings.
It still burns that much oil!!
Sounded like they didn't know what else they could do......
Anybody have any thoughts, comments.
Thanks,
Peter.

·
Registered
431 Posts
sounds like your oil tank has a hole in it??? If you were burning that much oil you would be fouling plugs left and right. Still no snow in Erie Pa , or i would be out riding instead of on this board:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
a tank of oil should last about 3 tanks of gas or more. i think f9 is probably right, check your belly and make sure its not full of oil, because the engine definetely isnt using it all and if you havent fouled any plugs its gotta be going somewhere.

·
Registered
60 Posts
You might want to check and make sure that the oil pump s is set correctly. This is located right below the carbs and when the throttles are opened fully, there are alignment marks that need to be aligned, horizontally. This can be checked easily with a mechanical mirror and flashlight. The other possiblity is that you have a small leak/crack in one of the oil supply lines. This is possible through vibration on another part. As always, check the bottom of the pan, if it is heavily coated with oil, look for the leak. Dan

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will search for a leak

Thanks for the helpfull replies.

The plugs are clean and so is the exhaust pipe, so I will search for a leak. One guy I come across said they'd found a hairline crack in the oil reservoir on one machine.

As we approach the shortest day way up north, there isn't a whole lot of daylight and its been a touch cold lately so will tackle this when I can. Only 5" of snow, so still using the quad. Maybe Santa will be generous and dump us a few feet.
Peter.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts