Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1991 400LC, 1994 XLT SKS, 2007 IQ 600 HO, 1991 340 sport, 1990 440 sport, 1999 XC 500, 1999 XC 700
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I have a 2013 Polaris Assault 800 with around 3000 miles that I got for a really good deal knowing it had some stuff to fix. He also said it was rebuilt but apparently not very good lol. Long story short needed to replace half the bulkhead and after I got the motor pulled out I found out the bolts that attach the motor mount plate/bar to the motor came out (or were never put in right) and destroyed the threads for the bolts in the case. One is shaped like an oval and the other has half the bolt snapped off inside it. This is going to become the beater sled so I don't really want to buy a new case. Anything cheep that works is the right solution in this case for me. Also before you start worrying about the next owner, I part out sleds and when it blows it will join them.

What is going to be the best way to deal with this? Solutions I have thought of so far-

-Attempt to drill the holes out and rethread them
-Weld the plate on to the case
JB weld the plate on (or a different adhesive
-Say fu*k it and work some duck tape and zip tie magic
That last one is mostly a joke but any advice or thoughts it greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
26,336 Posts
I would take it to my Alum welder and have them filled in.
Then with the mount plate as a guide re drill and tap (next larger would be ok)

·
Registered
1991 400LC, 1994 XLT SKS, 2007 IQ 600 HO, 1991 340 sport, 1990 440 sport, 1999 XC 500, 1999 XC 700
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think I would try to drill and tap them one or two sizes bigger
I would take it to my Alum welder and have them filled in.
Then with the mount plate as a guide re drill and tap (next larger would be ok)
I thought about both of these. Here are me concerns with each.
If I would just drill it out and go with a bigger size would the case bolt holes still have enough material to hold and not just split open? Would I need to fill in where the one has become more of an oval?
I have done a fair amount of welding but have never done any aluminum welding. I am not sure I trust myself enough to not melt or destroy the case. If I weld to a shop to do it how much would it cost? Would this warp the case at all?

Thanks for the replies!

·
Registered
198 Posts
How much are used cases going for? I have bought used cases for a couple of my old Polarises. New used cases could be cheaper than paying a welder. You'll have to weigh out the cost and time of each option and maybe flip a coin and make the tough call. Good luck.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
AGAIN swap meet!
You can pick up an entire running motor for $100! or less!
Where and when are these? Are you talking about a exploded junk motor? I have never seen a motor for $100 even the blown motors I sell for parts sell for $600. Would they still accept it with the destroyed bolt holes?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The other thing I was thinking is could I just weld the strap directly to the case? If I could get it aligned correctly would it be possible?

·
Administrator
18,450 Posts
Welding aluminum is a specialty. A good welder would be able to fill and re-drill a perfect replacement hole and it could be as strong as the original. I'd contact a machine shop that does aluminum and talk to them. Price will be all over the place, but don't go too cheap, you usually get what you pay for. Here, you need some quality help...

·
Registered
26,336 Posts
Exactly!
Hay Days is the Worlds Largest Snowmobile Swap Meet
Next weekend in Minnesota!
People come from all over the world!
Yes a complete running motor!
I was given a complete running Wild Cat 700!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Exactly!
Hay Days is the Worlds Largest Snowmobile Swap Meet
Next weekend in Minnesota!
People come from all over the world!
Yes a complete running motor!
I was given a complete running Wild Cat 700!
I have a buddy who said he has gone the last couple years and got a bunch of stuff there, so I am planning on going up with him next weekend. I am thinking I'll just try to get a new motor there.
Does anyone know what years would fit in it? I know they remapped the assaults though the years and I think changed some other things with the motor but what years would fit a 2013? Would they all be basically the same and fit? I would probably do a top end on it either way but is there anything else I need to know about the differences in the years?

Thanks again for all the help!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hello, just an update if anyone else has any other issues in the future with this.
A guy buying parts actually worked at a machine shop and after talking to him for a while we made a deal on him fixing my issues for parts. He said the original quote would be around 2 hours of labor at $80 an hour so would have been $160 but after we figured it all out and everything he did it for $80.
What he said he did was drill out the oval bolt hole, retaped it with a bigger bolt and some red loctite, than drilled a smaller hole in that bolt (the size of the original bolts) and tapped that for the original bolts for the straps. He also set a pin in the bigger bolt to make sure it never comes out. On the other side he drilled the old bolt out and installed a helicoil. He than machined the surface flat letting me know how much of a spacer or shim I would need to make it sit correctly again after he machined it down. Here are some pictures of how it turned out.

Bicycle part Wood Automotive tire Nut Auto part
Automotive tire Rim Wood Automotive wheel system Auto part

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts