Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first season owning a snow mobile. I have a 04 Polaris touring edge. It does a have a little compartment in the rear. But I was wondering what you guys use to carry your gear in. Like survival gear, or just some water, GPS, map, extra gloves or ball cap, etc. I keep an extra belt in my little compartment and then can squeeze in a little tactical bag with my GPS, trail map, extra batteries, some hand tools, knife and matches. What do you guys carry and how do you carry it?
Are there any bag attachements for the sleds, without looking like your carrying luggage?
I notice in the magazines that they show pictures of guys riding with back packs on. Im not a big back pack fan, but its better than not being prepared.
Thanks for any feedback

·
Breaker of Balls
313 Posts
fill your bags with necessities you always want to keep with your sled, then fill your backpack with food and drink! use bunjee cords or some line to tie down extra gas.

·
Breaker of Balls
313 Posts
you can find very nice backpacks built for snowmachining by HMK and Fox and whatnot, they are slim and built to hold shovels

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
I keep an extra belt in my little compartment
You don't have under-hood storage for the belt? No need to waste the back compartment when there is a perfectly good spot up front for it!

(same goes for the under hood tool pack that most sleds have. There is usually at least a little extra room you can use in there. In mine I've got some zip ties, a lighter & matchbook, some duct tape rolled up, couple hose clamps, etc...)

·
Breaker of Balls
313 Posts
a windshield bag is a good idea for all that too, and it doesnt look too bad. my 800 didnt have any underhood storage, except for a spare belt. what i did is a riveted a plastic container that i got from a sled at the dump to my clutch cover, now i have a place for my plugs and plug wrench and whatever else i need.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll have to look under the hood, I didnt notice a spot for the extra belt. I bought mine used and I dont have the tool kit. I should get one.

·
Breaker of Balls
313 Posts
you can put one together with a socket and a ratchet or a wrench that fits your plugs, and whatever else you think you may need, basically anything is useful at some point

·
Mountain M0DERAT0R
7,469 Posts
well, this is what i carry every time i go out and ride. keep in mind, i'm in the back woods off trail away from EVERYTHING so i need to me more self sufficient than most trail riders.

Under the Sleds Seat
- Zip up northface fleece
- zip up mountain hardwear wind breaker
- heavy gloves
- (2) extra belts
- stock tool puch
- (4) bottles of water
- sandwich
- backlava
- stocking cap
- extra plugs

Backpack
- snickers/granola bars
- (2) bottles of pop
- extra goggles
- zip up long sleeve wicking shirt (not cotton)
- (2) pair of neoprene riding gloves
- sandwich
- shovel
- avvy probe
- wallet
- keys
- GPS (Rhino 530HCx)

Tunne Bag
- Fire starters
- flash light
- water proof matches
- (2) glow stick
- tampons (starting fire - dip into gas tank)
- Full roll of duct tape
- assorted zip ties
- (2) ratchet straps
- tow strap
- nylon rope with carabeeners
- regular woven rope
- 6x8 plastic tarp
- leather man
- ratchet, sockets, screw drivers, needle nose pliers
- hand saw
- shovel
- bivvy sack
- first aid kit
- compas, whistle, mirror
- flint and steel
- bic lighter
- head lamp
- snickers bars

i keep food with me, and with my sled. in case i get separated from my sled. i carry extra clothes in case of an overnighter (almost had to stay the night last year - stuck for 8 hours). the tarp is for making a lean-to or for putting under the track in case it gets siezed (makes towing out easier). and people laugh at the tampon thing, but ive used them on more than one occasion either for a trail side fire. i keep one shovel in my back pack in case of an avvy and my sled and i are separated. the shovel on my sled is for when "my buddies" get stuck and i need to help get them unstuck - lol.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I use a windshieldbag too. I take a flashlight, lighter, trailmaps, extra plugs, tape, zip ties, pliers, tinder of some sort (dryer lint), a red LED flasking light all in a couple plastic boxes in the windshield bag. In the trunk goes extra oil, tow rope, rachet strap, and a syphon hose. I mainly stay on trails, I'll throw in more along with snacks and a bottle of water when I go on trips away from home. I keep my phone and ipod inmy jacket to stay warm. I always have a lighter and compas in my jacket too. So far the syphon hose and tow rope have been used the most!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well, this is what i carry every time i go out and ride. keep in mind, i'm in the back woods off trail away from EVERYTHING so i need to me more self sufficient than most trail riders.

Under the Sleds Seat
- Zip up northface fleece
- zip up mountain hardwear wind breaker
- heavy gloves
- (2) extra belts
- stock tool puch
- (4) bottles of water
- sandwich
- backlava
- stocking cap
- extra plugs

Backpack
- snickers/granola bars
- (2) bottles of pop
- extra goggles
- zip up long sleeve wicking shirt (not cotton)
- (2) pair of neoprene riding gloves
- sandwich
- shovel
- avvy probe
- wallet
- keys
- GPS (Rhino 530HCx)

Tunne Bag
- Fire starters
- flash light
- water proof matches
- (2) glow stick
- tampons (starting fire - dip into gas tank)
- Full roll of duct tape
- assorted zip ties
- (2) ratchet straps
- tow strap
- nylon rope with carabeeners
- regular woven rope
- 6x8 plastic tarp
- leather man
- ratchet, sockets, screw drivers, needle nose pliers
- hand saw
- shovel
- bivvy sack
- first aid kit
- compas, whistle, mirror
- flint and steel
- bic lighter
- head lamp
- snickers bars

i keep food with me, and with my sled. in case i get separated from my sled. i carry extra clothes in case of an overnighter (almost had to stay the night last year - stuck for 8 hours). the tarp is for making a lean-to or for putting under the track in case it gets siezed (makes towing out easier). and people laugh at the tampon thing, but ive used them on more than one occasion either for a trail side fire. i keep one shovel in my back pack in case of an avvy and my sled and i are separated. the shovel on my sled is for when "my buddies" get stuck and i need to help get them unstuck - lol.
Thats a pretty comprehensive list. I'm going to use a few thiings from your list for myself. Like the tampon idea, small tarp is also good. Ive been looking online for quality back packs. I'm more of a minimalist but I like having what i need "just in case". I dont want to be bogged down. All great info guys! This is all vey helpful, I'm going to be exploreing some trails this weekend that are mapped and groomed but I have never been on them before.

·
Breaker of Balls
313 Posts
really, any type of back or sack that you can keep with you or with your sled is a great thing to have, and filling it with winter survival supplies and fresh food every time you go out is a must.

·
Super Moderator
17,904 Posts
Western riders carry a lot more stuff 'cause it's a LONG walk out most days. And most of us HATE walking ;)

I would add a couple large size garbage bags to the list PolarisIndy posted, they are very versatile and take up little space. You can even use them as a wind break to help keep your legs warm. It's pretty amazing how much warmer you can be just getting the wind stopped.

·
Hank Scorpio
112 Posts
I like the tampon idea and never heard of it. Good one on the garbage bag too! I have an old reflective construction vest (neon green) thats compact enough to stuff somewhere on the sled. Good attention getter if ya break down, etc..

·
Registered
315 Posts
how about one of those small safety blankets .
and another survival tool that is compact and i didnt see on the other post's
is a cd, ya a compact disk , they are very reflective and could be used to attract
attention of a helicopter or even a search party :)

·
Hank Scorpio
112 Posts
I recently watched apocalypse man and he used a 9 volt against some steel wool to create fire. Pretty cool. He just pushed the terms into the steel wool and it arced through the wool turning it red hot. I like the CD idea. An emergency whistle is probably a good addition.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts