Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you hold onto your gear?

I’ve been wondering about the various tie down systems that each maker has now.

BRP/Skidoo has LinQ, which I’ve used and even created baseplates for.

Polaris has Lock and Ride Flex

I see Arctic Cat introduced in 2017, the SpeedRack, but I don’t see anything on their web site.

I know there is also 3rd party devices like Kimpex Link-It and something else by another company (Koppix?).

I’m curious of what people’s experience with each are and what they like and dislike about each one.

I’ve been using LinQ since getting my 2015. Even created plates for my Suzuki 4 wheeler to use the LinQ system as well.
Securely holds stuff on the sled
Very easy to adapt for other things like ATV or non-Skidoo machines.

Dislikes: Cost - BRP tag on it raises the price by 50%.
Inability to lock/secure it to the sled (anti-theft) - There are aftermarket locks.
The LinQ mechanism is mostly plastic and breaks easily.
Availability of after market parts and accessories.

There are companies that make racks and plates for the LinQ system but often rely on the LinQ mechanism on both sides to secure. The problem with that is the mechanism really isn’t all that strong on its own. LinQ is designed to work with an entire base plate that offers stability on the slide in side.

·
Registered
26,128 Posts
I made my own , go figure!
I used a Military alum box (from salvage) that was for night vision goggles!
It was the right width and length and height.
It just zip ties on and has latches and the lid is removable and doubles as a scoop shovel if need be!

·
Super Moderator
18,335 Posts
I think the Skidoo system is very well thought out. I have a Burandt Adventures tunnel bag that attaches to the grooves in the tunnel, non-locking and not at all water proof. I was pretty disappointed in it, although it has a low profile that allows the rider to swing a leg over the bag when you are transitioning side to side on the sled. Polaris has a lockable version that is a bit higher and will hold more stuff.

I carry a shovel and probe in my pack on my back, so I did not need shovel storage on the sled.

·
Registered
26,128 Posts
Im not a back pack guy.
My sled carry's everything, I mean everything!
From bandages n super glue to tools and fire arm!

·
Super Moderator
18,335 Posts
In the mountains, most riders carry a backpack with at least a shovel and probe. If you are in an avalanche situation, you don't want the shovel on your sled, you want it on your body. If you get knocked off your sled and your sled is buried but you aren't and your shovel is on the sled... well.. it does not do much good there! If I rode where there was no avalanche danger, I would have everything on my sled, too. Terrain makes the difference.

I carry a few other things in my pack, but it's not heavy (extra gloves, dry socks, fire starting materials for the most part.) Most of my gear is in my tunnel carrier.

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Certainly the situation dictates what you carry. I don't like wearing backpacks at all. I do like to travel as light as possible too. However, when I'm going to the cabin, if I can fit it all on the machine, I will. If not, I'll pull a trailer.

Going on fun trips in the hills, I'll carry extra gas, but will try to put it in the tank as soon as possible. Having weight on the back of the tunnel doesn't help going through the deep stuff.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
I'd love to find some saddle bags for the sleds. For now, we use the trunks. On the two up, we loop a backpack around the backrest and use that to hold extra stuff like tools, water, snacks ect.

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The skidoo LinQ Saddle bags can easily be added onto any machine. Spendy, but I'm told they are nice. I think I'd spray water proofing on them a lot though.

I've got LinQ system on my Suzuki 4-wheeler and am now in the process of designing and fabricating a baseplate to hold the 2-up/cargo bag that I have for it. It normally just straps on, but it is a pain-in-butt to put on and take off the machine. First thing is to find the right material for the plate. I'm thinking plastic (HDPE).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts