Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted to run this by the mechanics of the group. This weekend I had a carb problem on a brand new 440 (dual carbs). Upon full throttle one carb would get stuck fully open. I would have to open the top of the unit and force a plunger type cylinder back down. For the rest of the day I would have to be careful not to apply full throttle.

When I got it home I took the carb off and manually moved the throttle assembly and confirmed it stuck open every time. I removed the "plunger" (I don't know the real name for it) and took some emery cloth and cleaned up the bore it runs in as well as the plunger itself. After a while I got it to move freely, re-assembled the carb, and all seems well.

Obviously the sled is under warrenty, but I didn't want to tie it up since I have several trips planned in the immediate future. So... did I do this right? Has anyone seen this in virtually brand new carburators? I did take care to clean the unit well with carb cleaner as well as blow it out with high pressure air. The sled seems to run great now, I'm just checking my work for any problems I may have introduced.

Thanks,

Steve

·
I am Spartacus
23,863 Posts
Never seen a problem like that with a carb slide. It was warranty, but probably isn't now that it was sanded. But if it works well now, great!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
smallengineguy said:
Never seen a problem like that with a carb slide. It was warranty, but probably isn't now that it was sanded. But if it works well now, great!
I thought the same thing, but if I need to have it fixed again I am going to tell them it was "trail side" work. And the only way to get it back. Not totally a lie...

amazing at how simple these carbs are. If nothing else I feel more comfortable getting into one if I have problems on the trail.

Thanks for the reply.

Steve

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Something had to have been out-of-round, or nicked. I would certainly get it in to the dealer. If you bought the sled with a warranty, I assure you that you paid through the nose for it. You might as well be getting something for your money...

However, as SEG pointed out - you may have voided the warranty on that part by 'repairing' it yourself.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts