Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 1997 Polaris Indy 500 that just won't run on its own gas. When I put fuel in the cylinder it runs like a dream but gas isnt getting to the motor for some reason. I've let it run on starting fluid too and it runs just perfect. The fuel pick up in the tank was broken off and I've replaced it. The fuel pump wasn't working and it's been replaced and fuel is making its way through the line to the carb. When I removed the line to the carb and sprayed through it none could get through to the intake. It seems fuel doesn't get from the fuel line through the carb. I have ZERO experience with carburetors so I'm not sure where to start. I also noticed there is what looks like a vacuum line connecting the 2 carbs together that was falling apart, not sure the purpose but it goes from both carbs to what looks like the bottom end of the motor. I'm very mechanically inclined so any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
1st NEVER use starting fluid to run a 2 stroke engine or start it up, use gasoline mixed with 2 stroke oil i.e chainsaw gas or weedeater gas. That stuff is made for diesel engines. IF you insist on using it then get the stuff with lubricant/oil in it. 2nd clean the carburetors. Link below on how to do it. 3rd that hose between the two carburetors is an equalizing hose. It should go from the clutch to the recoil side possibly with a T in the middle. There should be that small diameter hose going from each of the carburetors to your airbox. I have a '97 Indy 500 and that is all necessary to keep the carburetors balanced as far as air goes and the hoses coming from the airbox help send air into said carburetors. Link below on how to clean mikuni carburetors. That small diameter hose is 1/8" inside diameter. Can be picked up at most local shops that sell lawn equipment. Also I hope you used Tygon in the tank and that the weighted fuel filter was on the end of it. If not pull the hose get Tygon and make sure that weight fuel filter is clamped on. Also replace the fuel filter behind the airbox. I use a 1/4" old Arctic Cat style so I can see what is going. Links below at amazon for both filters.

Amazon.com: 1/4 Fuel Filter - Fuel Screen Filter, Small in tank Fuel Line Filter - Replacement Fuel Filter 7052037 7052081 : Automotive

·
Administrator
19,304 Posts
I'm betting stuck inlet needle/seat. That is a very common problem with any engine that is carbed and sits for long periods of time without fuel moving through the carb.

Like Coolhand said, time to clean the carbs. It is not difficult and should be done yearly. When I had carbed sleds, I would clean 'em late in the fall just before snowmobile season. Some guys will clean and drain at the end of the season, which also works. What ever you do, having fuel in the float bowls that has time to evaporate will create a sticky varnish that will clog the pilot jets and can stick the inlet needle in the seat.

·
Registered
27,195 Posts
Welcome

1 - 4 of 4 Posts