Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in RI enjoying the 24" of snow. This morning, I did the obligatory neighborhood run in blizzard conditions. With huge drifts, 50mph winds, limited visibility, and a 700 lb triple, I didn't last too long. Got back home and parked the sled.

About 6 hours later the snow stopped so I went back out to the sled. If fired right up on choke, (98 800 Pantera Triple), but the throttle was stuck closed. I opened up the hood to take a look and sure enough, there was a bit of snow in there. I had parked it facing the direction of the wind (wind coming from rear of sled) so there wasn't any snow on the sled itself, but it managed to get under the hood.

I was able to free up the throttle slides but the sled wouldn't idle without choke, indicating to me it wasn't getting enough fuel from the idle circuit. I'm pretty sure this was all caused by frozen moisture in the intake bells of the carbs, although I'm not sure how it got there. Is it more likely that it blew in while it was parked or did I gobble up some powder while riding earlier in the day?

·
I am Spartacus
23,863 Posts
Probably a combination of both. Got a heated garage to put it in? Quickest fix... If not let it idle for 5 minutes or so away from the wind to thaw it out. I think everyone's sled ran like crap yesterday...;)

·
Registered
99 Posts
mine does the same on myu 96 zrt 600. It doesnt really do it as much now becuse i routed the cables better then how they were, but every once in awhile when im riding the throttle starts to stick, get the snow or ice off teh carbs, let it idle for a few min then its good to go. maybe make some type of plastic cover to keep the snow from forming around yer carbs?

·
Registered
85 Posts
same thing happened to me this weekend, i rode my lynx for about an hour, by the end of that time there was powder all over the sled. went inside to get warm and came back out to find the throttle was stuck. i brought it into the garage to thaw out and that did the trick, so i would say it's not a big problem.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts