Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
first time cleaning the carbs on my 96 indy 600 triple. i have taken out the air box how do i remove the throttle cable and chock cable or do you leave them in during cleaning...the only reason i wanted to clean them was because it was bogging down when giving it gas

·
Super Moderator
18,334 Posts
To remove the throttle cable, unscrew the top of the carb. The throttle cable is attached to the top of the carb and attached to the slide. There will be a large spring inside the carb between the top and the slide. Pull up gently to remove the spring, slide, and jet needle. You can then set the assembly aside to pull the carbs. You will also have to remove the fuel line from the carbs, and be aware that the float chambers will be full of gas; if you tip the carb upside down, the gas will come out and make a mess. Have a pan ready.

To remove the choke plunger, unscrew the plunger mechanism at the carb body. There is a small spring holding tension on the plunger. There is a chance that the cable end can come out of the plunger, which will allow the plunger and spring to fall off, therefore falling directly under the engine, never to be seen again by mortal man. Forewarned is forearmed!

·
ZR rider
2,064 Posts
There are how to videos all over youtube if you get stuck anywhere.

·
Registered
321 Posts
good explanation BC Dan. I thought I was the only one to lose parts in the bottomless abyss otherwise known as the belly pan

·
Super Moderator
18,334 Posts
I bought a ZR from a guy one time with a blown piston. When I removed the engine, there were various small screws, 3 spark plugs, a screwdriver (phillips), a spark plug socket, and a magnetic pickup tool. It pays to buy sleds from Fumblefingers ;)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
got to get a nice long skinny magnet lucky i have one or else i would be missing screws and clips

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
and thanks for t he help i got them all apart and cleaned is there anything i should be aware of or careful of when i re assemble....or just put it back the same way i took it apart? how tight should the throttle and chock cable be.?

·
Super Moderator
18,334 Posts
If you didn't disturb the settings, the throttle and choke should be able to retain their settings. If not, the throttle should have 0.010-0.030" of slack from the throttle lever to the throttle block. The choke lever should have about 1/8" of freeplay as well. To adjust the throttle, the two cables on the top of the carbs are used. To adjust the choke, the adjustment is on the choke cable near where the plunger screws into the carb.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
so i cleaned the cards hooked them back up and all that....i was only cleaning them because the sled was dieing when i would give it gas and backfire. how ever after the cleaning it is still dieing when i give it gas but it will start up no problem any ideas??...ps it sat for awhile with no gas in it

·
ZR rider
2,064 Posts
You counted the number of turns with the pilot air screws right?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i did its all like it was before....it also will back fire when starting... maybe its not getting enough gas?

·
Super Moderator
18,334 Posts
What are the screws set to? To richen the idle mix, try going IN on the air screws. I have found 1 turn out from lightly seated works good on the air screws, but don't be afraid to go in even further to eliminate your problem. If you screw the air screws all the way in and there is no change in performance, your pilot jet circuit has a clog in it somewhere.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts