Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys. So I just want to know how to properly check the spark plugs to determine weather or not I’m running rich lean or just right. I put in a brand new plugs and only went up and down my yard a few times with a wide open throttle. Seemed to hesitate abit but clears up the longer you stay on the throttle wide open. I stopped and pulled the plugs after a few runs and one looked to be lean and the other seemed good, I pulled the filter off the one that looked lean and I had lots of fuel deposits so I’m a little confused. Did I just not run it long enough to read the plugs or what. I’d assume I wouldn’t have fuel pouring out the intake side of the carb if it was lean?? It’s a 1991 exciter 570

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can u tell me why? I bought this machine like this. What difference will it make by getting rid of them? Are you saying to put the stock air box in it instead ??

·
Super Moderator
16,914 Posts
The stock air box takes it's air from outside the engine bay where the air is cold and dense. Pods take air from inside the engine bay where it's hot. The cold air has the potential to make more power. Plus the jetting charts are calibrated for the airbox. Those are the reasons to use the airbox.

To check plugs, you will need about a half mile run to check plug color. Run at wide open throttle for about a half mile (long straight away or long meadow works great) then without taking your hand off the throttle, hit the kill switch. Pull the plugs. You are looking for a cardboard brown color on the insulator. Black indicates too rich, white or grey indicates too lean.

If you have fuel pouring out the intake of the carb, I would suspect a bad needle/seat or that the float needs adjusting. It wouldn't hurt to remove the carb and give it a good cleaning, paying particular attention to the inlet needle/seat and the float height in the float bowl.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
The pods will also collect spit back and give false plug readings
I cant over emphasize the temp difference makes
There are chart for jetting at about 15 deg
Engine compartment is 130 deg min and it's should be 0 deg!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts