Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading about how much of a difference a good carb cleaning makes... so I thought I would give it a try last night on my '80 Jag. I opted for the "take it apart" approach, rather than the "shake the pi$$ out of it" method. :D

I pulled the carb off, and opened the float bowl, and sprayed carb cleaner in every hole or cavity I could find. I didn't want to get into removing jets and stuff... afraid I couldn't get it back together if I did that! Anyway, I put it back together, and fired it up. It took a few pulls, because the float was empty. Once I got it running, I adjusted the throttle cable, idle mix screw, and idle stop per the manual. Then I took it for a spin.

WOW!!! I couldn't believe the difference! It purrs like a kitten now... and it has top-end which it never had before. It is simply amazing! It used to sputter and dog when you got on it - now it takes off like a rocket, and just keeps going!

Many thanks to all who have posted here with instructions, etc. on carb cleaning! Now I have to get at my other 2 sleds, since the "old-timer" is running better (now) than either of the other ones.

·
Registered
271 Posts
why is it that if someone posts something like "fixed up my old 80's cat" no one says anything about how old it is, then you ask people what they think about old sleds and everyone says they suck...Personaly I like some of the older cats

·
I am Spartacus
23,863 Posts
Some people who have had nothing but new sleds say the older ones suck. Older ones don't have a lot of the good things newer ones have, like good suspension setups, but the engines haven't really changed that much since the late 80's. I've got a '92 and I'm not the one making a $300 per month paymeent on a sled for 3 suck winters in a row...:D

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
600SE said:
why is it that if someone posts something like "fixed up my old 80's cat" no one says anything about how old it is, then you ask people what they think about old sleds and everyone says they suck...Personaly I like some of the older cats
I bought the '80 as an extra, so the whole family could ride if we wanted to (not that it would happen very often...). It turns out that I enjoy riding it a lot more than I thought I would.

I also like the looks of the '79-81 Jags. The profile hasn't changed that much over the years. I have to admit that it's a completely different ride from my 2000 ZL though. The old Jag is like a snowmobile version of a crotch-rocket! It will go much faster than any human can keep it under control, and that's what makes it so much fun to ride. Sure the ZL would beat it on a trail, but just keeping the Jag upright is a challenge, and that puts a lot of THRILL into the riding of it. The suspension really wasn't that bad for a 25 year old sled either - if you think about it. Best of all, it sure is a lot easier to pull out of a drift than my 600 pound ZL too... :D

Oh... and it only cost me 500 bananas, so it's paid in full!

I'd guess the folks who may complain about older sleds are either spoiled, ignorant, or both.

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
i like older sleds...

yeah, i found myself saying "clean the carbs" a lot for that little strech of time. it seems like everyone has the same problem at the sametime on here! it's either the clutch, the CDI, or something with the engine blowing.

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
skidoo_magoo said:
i like older sleds...

yeah, i found myself saying "clean the carbs" a lot for that little strech of time. it seems like everyone has the same problem at the sametime on here! it's either the clutch, the CDI, or something with the engine blowing.
Lemme see... in the last month:

I had to clean the carbs on my 1980 Cat.
Cost - $1.75 for a can of carb cleaner!

The primary ignition coil went on my 2000 Cat.
Cost - Two days of frustration trying to get the flywheel off, $107 for the coil, and $20 to have the shop pull the flywheel!

OLD sleds aren't that bad... ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts