Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know a guy who put Drygas in his tank. Burnt a piston! Apparently, Methanol burns a tad too hot!

So I’m NOT asking about Drygas. I want to know if petroleum-based carburetor cleaner will help keep the carbs clean *without* harming the engine.

Has anybody ever used it, and can they comment if it worked, and/or if it is safe to use?

Thanks!

·
Registered
128 Posts
i use carb and choke cleaner from wal-mart and run dry gas too, in the same tank, no problems and the sled is 10 years old still runnin strong

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was paranoid, after a friend dumped a bottle of Drygas in his tank, and burnt a cylinder that same day. It cost him several hundred dollars to fix it. His mechanic told him the Alcohol-based dry gas products burn A LOT hotter than regular fuel, and that was the direct cause of his problem. So, I wanted to ask around here before putting anything in my tank.

Note that Drygas comes in blue and black bottles. I am pretty sure the blue bottles contain Methanol. I *think* the black bottles are petroleum based. I may just stick with straight carb cleaner, and skip the Drygas.

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
gEXTspecial said:
i use carb and choke cleaner from wal-mart and run dry gas too, in the same tank, no problems and the sled is 10 years old still runnin strong
Hey gEXTspecial - did you get the snow last night? We got enough for me to take my Jag 340 around the yard a few times. :D

·
Registered
128 Posts
no rgoers, it snowed but it isn't stickin at all, in fact, it's snowing now, it's a big tease, i can't wait to get out there

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We still have some on the ground from 2 nights ago. Must be warmer where you are...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts