Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1991 Polaris Indy 650
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, so i took the carb adapters off the engine. The inner sides of the engine side look like they are peeling apart. Should these be changed?
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Yes they can, Kimpex and others make them. Will find you the part numbers for this as well in a few minutes.

Remind me again what snowmobile this is? I know it is a 650 IIRC just not sure on the year.

·
Registered
1991 Polaris Indy 650
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes they can, Kimpex and others make them. Will find you the part numbers for this as well in a few minutes.

Remind me again what snowmobile this is? I know it is a 650 IIRC just not sure on the year.
Its a '91 indy 650. No carb adapters available from anyone. Polaris or after market. Apparently the '77 polaris TX 340 is the closest I will get to the original.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
You can find them. I replaced them on my '88 650 and they are only 34mm carbs iirc. Gimme a few minutes looking through other threads as well and then will work on this.

·
Registered
1991 Polaris Indy 650
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You can find them. I replaced them on my '88 650 and they are only 34mm carbs iirc. Gimme a few minutes looking through other threads as well and then will work on this.
The intake ports on the '91-'92 650 are bigger than any other year. Apparently that's why the adapters are no longer available because they wouldnt sell enough.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Well I just learned something new...the 34mm and 38mm carbs use a lot of the same ones. Idk about the ports being bigger that seems odd to me, I never heard that working back at Polaris in the mid '90s but that was 25 years ago. Just started to look.

·
Registered
1991 Polaris Indy 650
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I just learned something new...the 34mm and 38mm carbs use a lot of the same ones. Idk about the ports being bigger that seems odd to me, I never heard that working back at Polaris in the mid '90s but that was 25 years ago. Just started to look.
Polaris used the same cylinders as the rxl for '91-'92 indy, which had bigger intake ports than the previous carbed 650. If you look at the cylinder part numbers they are the same as the rxl but different than previous year carbed 650.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Well this is odd...it really is. I looked at 2 places one says this will work on that snowmobile the other says no. MFG Supply says this is the carb boot that will work and dennis kirk says no.

I am going to keep looking as this is bothering me now. I may have to pull out one of the old books from the mid 2000s to get a part number.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Even Central Snowmobile according to my old catalog and on their site says this works on 36-38mm carburetors and your Indy 650 for 1991.

They are all over eBay and Amazon for 12 bucks a piece might be worth trying and if you have to modify a little bit that shouldn't be too hard.

·
Registered
1991 Polaris Indy 650
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well this is odd...it really is. I looked at 2 places one says this will work on that snowmobile the other says no. MFG Supply says this is the carb boot that will work and dennis kirk says no.

I am going to keep looking as this is bothering me now. I may have to pull out one of the old books from the mid 2000s to get a part number.
Th. Part# for the original adapter is 3084228. No longer available and I havent been able to find one after market either.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
So? OEM numbers change all the time, ESPECIALLY Polaris!! And yes I saw that number. I would try them. Multiple places say they will fit after looking some more. Do you have anything to lose over 25 bucks total?

·
Registered
1991 Polaris Indy 650
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So? OEM numbers change all the time, ESPECIALLY Polaris!! And yes I saw that number. I would try them. Multiple places say they will fit after looking some more. Do you have anything to lose over 25 bucks total?
I think I'll buy one and see if it matches up.
Thanks for all your help!

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Mine had no issues, but you can modify them thankfully since they are made out of rubber. If that one don't work then it is salvage yards for him! But I would find a way to make them work somehow someway.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
I have never had an issue with those carburetor boots, used quite a few from that brand and they worked without issues. That snowmobile is an odd duck with those boots to begin with.

Only thing you might try from Mikuni are these 2 part numbers.

www.mikunipower.com/CarburetorCatalog2012Digital/index.html#/29

Part # M-VM36-200K

&

Part # I-VM38-200-1

Both have different Flange throat depth and different 8.5mm bolt hole size.

But as I said I have used probably around 10-12 of those other adapters in 34mm & 38mm without an issue, they have held up just fine.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts