Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 97 skidoo mxz 583. I bought a brand new primer plunger and still can't get gas to go through any advice would be great thanks

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
give it a blow....

Primers are notoriously leaky when they are dry. The quickest and easiest thing to do is blow air into your gas tank. Forcing the fuel into the carbs, once the carbs are full, it will force some fuel up into the primer. pump the primer and watch the fuel lines. Some like to disconnect the output of the primer and pump until it comes out steady.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
give it a blow....

Primers are notoriously leaky when they are dry. The quickest and easiest thing to do is blow air into your gas tank. Forcing the fuel into the carbs, once the carbs are full, it will force some fuel up into the primer. pump the primer and watch the fuel lines. Some like to disconnect the output of the primer and pump until it comes out steady.
  1. If i blow air into gas tank i can't see how the Carbs will fill up with gas

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
No offense, but you need to look closer. There should be a fuel line going from the tank to a T connector. That T connector is where the primer connects in. The other part of the T connects to the fuel pump. Then a fuel line comes out of the fuel pump for each carb on the machine. By blowing into the gas tank (I use an air compressor), you force fuel through the fuel pump and then up into the carbs. It also fills all the fuel lines with fuel. You can then watch at the T connector while pumping the primer to see where the fuel is in relation to the primer.

Snowmobile primers don't like to run dry. Even brand new ones may not work very well. Best thing to do it test the primer before putting it on the machine. That way you know that it is wet. I usually just squirt a bit of 2 stroke oil into the primer while storing for the summer, but also to revive them if they do get dry.

Pretty sure I have a sticky on the subject of primers.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No offense, but you need to look closer. There should be a fuel line going from the tank to a T connector. That T connector is where the primer connects in. The other part of the T connects to the fuel pump. Then a fuel line comes out of the fuel pump for each carb on the machine. By blowing into the gas tank (I use an air compressor), you force fuel through the fuel pump and then up into the carbs. It also fills all the fuel lines with fuel. You can then watch at the T connector while pumping the primer to see where the fuel is in relation to the primer.

Snowmobile primers don't like to run dry. Even brand new ones may not work very well. Best thing to do it test the primer before putting it on the machine. That way you know that it is wet. I usually just squirt a bit of 2 stroke oil into the primer while storing for the summer, but also to revive them if they do get dry.

Ok really appreciate it I'm going to look into this weekend. If you don't mind i may have to pick your brian on this some more or other issues i run into

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
That is what we're here for. Help each other out and get the sled on the snow!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Ok so from where the gas cap is blow air into tank and i should see fuel go through the lines?

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
NO
The primer is just for fuel
Take the fuel lines off of the carbs and then blow into tank.

Have you cleaned the carbs and fuel pump?

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
little bit of 2 stroke oil in the primer can help get it going and doesn't hurt anything. Makes the first start smoke a bit more.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
NO
The primer is just for fuel
Take the fuel lines off of the carbs and then blow into tank.

Have you cleaned the carbs and fuel pump?
So i tried blowing air in tank and i did see some gas come out of the carb lines but primer still not sucking gas any other ideas?

·
Registered
3,353 Posts

1 - 18 of 18 Posts