Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My more mechanically inclined friend said I need to replace my clutch weights, but I'm not able to find them and they seem to be out of stock / not exist everywhere. Anyone else know of places where I can get this?

Part number:
85L-W176A-00-00

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
And what is the reason he says you need new clutch weights? Also if you are going to replace the weights you should do a full rebuild on the entire primary clutch with new buttons, spring...everything including sending it out to be balanced. Otherwise you could end up with out of balance and causing some serious issues.

Also KC has quite a bit of that older yamaha stuff I think maybe he can help you out and explain as well why to do a full rebuild on it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
And what is the reason he says you need new clutch weights? Also if you are going to replace the weights you should do a full rebuild on the entire primary clutch with new buttons, spring...everything including sending it out to be balanced. Otherwise you could end up with out of balance and causing some serious issues.

Also KC has quite a bit of that older yamaha stuff I think maybe he can help you out and explain as well why to do a full rebuild on it.
The weights are grooved, and the reason we were looking at it was due to a sticking/bogging problem.
I was able to find one rebuild kit, but it was really expensive and didn't have any pictures/ descriptions, so I didn't really wanna just buy it and see if it was the right thing

again, thanks for your time.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
LOL BEST PRICE! LOL

99.99 on eBay.

Idk why people insist strictly on sites like those or OEM dealers only

Also it won't have weights, at this point you are going to have to call a salvage yard. Try Al's Snowmobile online.

And there is ways to verify if that is the right kit, that site has the right rebuild kit as it is using Yamaha microfiche.

Either way do a rebuild kit, spring, weights and balance it or you will end up with issues. Or find a used clutch and go from there and even then..I would do a rebuild kit, spring and balance on it and just leave the weights alone.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alright, thanks. I'll probably order that & look for a parts sled since so many other things need fixing (the rear suspension, the front suspension bushings, etc)
just curious, why would you leave the weights alone if they are grooved?
Edit: ignore the last line, I didn't read the answer right.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
I never said leave the weights alone..and yeah I see your edit :)

I meant if you pick up a new clutch just put in new bushings and what not and leave them alone. I.E. You are buying a used clutch, weights will be ok, make sure you ask them first and then rebuild the entire thing with the rebuild kit, new spring and have it balanced and good to go then.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts