Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a weird problem. Finally got the carbs on my Venture 480 cleaned up and lots of engine power. Went out today and tried to climb a steep hill when I really hit the power the damn thing seems to disengage with a pretty bad racket. I lose all transfer of power to the track the revs go up and the said racket begins. When I turn the engine off it seems to reset and work again until the next application of full power up a hill.

No hint of any issues under a normal load and I drove home.

Clutch?

Chain Case? ( I fixed the reverse last year..did I F**# up?)

Gremlins?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Im voting for Gremlins, I don't know bout anyone else.

Gears be slipping?

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
im gonna go with gremlins too, but i have a question: was the hill icey? maybe the racket was the track throwing dirt/slipping. or was the noise coming from the front of the sled?

could the problem of power not being transfered to the track be simulated by it not gripping, so all it can do is start revving really high? im just throwing this up as a starting point. im sure SEG will know the exact problem though.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll admit to being a crappy mechanic of the duct tape and binder-twine school.

However I do have thousands of miles as a rider from Saskatchewan to Labrador to the NWT and Nunavut. It isn't a terran or ice issue.

It happens only when I ask for full power and the machine needs to work and it seems to be a mechanical issue of some kind unless I am really out to lunch. Lots of powdery snow and I hate to repeat it a third time as it is an ugly clanking grinding sound that feels like it is coming from the front end.

The belt is new and no strange wear patterns.

Could be Gremlins but they are consistent little buggers.

I think I will trailer the machine the 200 miles to High level Alberta and a good Yamaha mechanic but I'd love to have an idea about how much this is gonna cost!

·
I am Spartacus
23,863 Posts
Sounds like the chain is slipping on the sprockets...If the track was slipping on the cogs you'd still be moving quite a bit. Time to take the chaincase cover off....Again....:(

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
SMG: Damn that's what I was afraid of but I was in denial.

I might reluctantly spend some money and get someone who knows what they are doing to look at it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Strange Noise

I would also think the noise is from the chain case.Change the chain case oil and look for metal in the oil.I had this happen and it was the jackshaft bearing that failed.:(

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Strange Noise

excess11 said:
I would also think the noise is from the chain case.Change the chain case oil and look for metal in the oil.I had this happen and it was the jackshaft bearing that failed.:(
Excess did the slippage result in much further damage?

·
Registered
40 Posts

In my case all of the rattling caused a piece of the bearing boss inside of the case to break off. I had to replace the chaincase.The gears,chain and all other parts were reusable.I found a case on ebay cheap replaced all bearings and seals and total cost was under $100.00.:D

·
Registered
23 Posts
That strange noise could be the sprocket in the chain case. The teeth on it could be wore down and maybe that is why it is slipping. Check out the chain case and like everybody else says check the oil and what not. Good Luck.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts