Snowmobile Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Yeah I paid $100 for the hood and was happy I got it that cheap.
the body parts on the old sleds out here are getting hard to come by.
i got so lucky I found it and got it for so cheap only cause I knew the guy.
place in VT had one but wanted $300 for it not shipped.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
lol jealous of the trails out there. Yeah that is a good one! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: We have thousands of miles of groomed trails in Wisconsin, the UP of Michigan is some of the greatest trail riding you will ever do. I have been lucky enough to go trail riding all over since I was a little kid. All over Wisconsin, UP of Michigan & Lower Michigan, Minnesota, Parts of Canada from Ste Saint Marie and northwest to Timmins at one point. Along with Maine, Vermont and parts of NY when I was younger on a visit.

Out of all those places the UP was beyond the best in multiple spots, going up towards Timmins was really nice as well.

Some people won't ship a lot will. I have before in the past, hoods, seats, tracks you name in from eBay. Hoods can be shipped via Greyhound so they charge a good chunk of money or the last one I sold I took to a UPS dealer who packed it for me and safely. Cost the guy 100 bucks but he was happy as it arrived safe and sound. Hence why people go to salvage yards, craigslist and facebook marketplace. Some just don't want to pay the shipping they expect it to be 20 bucks. Shipping has gone up a LOT. Just cost me 45 bucks with insurance to ship a amplifier to someone I sold it to via Fedex Ground, used to be 25 bucks just a year or two ago. Everything has gone up in price especially shipping.
I think best part about sledding in NE is the mix bag you get. You guys are flat landers out there.
nonjoke when we ride sometimeswe are changing crazy altitudes. You will be bombing through a trail that is big enough for single sled climbing then next thing you know it opens up to larger part and great scenery opens Before you.
from the riding I have seen in UP and such looks boring honestly. We no joke can go from ITS trail to back woods trail then bombing across a lake back to a small local trail in within 10 miles so it’s a great Mix of everything. Again this is only from seeing videos of trails out there.Maybe you got some small hills your hiding out there somewhere. Lol.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
And this is coming from someone that hates ITS trails. Sure trail gets you somewhere Uber fast but what’s the point?
you can just get in a car and drive there at that point. Why pop 100mph+ for 20 miles to rush somewhere.Give me 40-50 mph tree lined trails 5 feet wide all day long.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Completely wrong all around on the UP, Wisconsin even Minnesota. Iowa and Illinois yeah flatland same with Indiana. Otherwise you would be wrong about how the riding is here. The videos you see are most likely from the main spots like Escanaba and what not. Majority of the UP has different elevations and mountain riding. You will see most in the Keeweenau Peninsula riding mountain machines for a reason same with out east of the UP as well.

Also anyone who rides 80-100mph on a trail shouldn't be doing it anyways. Everything in the North of Wisconsin, Minnesota and the UP is in probably 90% forest riding with a ton of curves and what not. You don't see much flat out straightline riding here except maybe the pipeline and I hate it because every moron in the world rides 80-100mph day or night and it is completely surrounded on both sides by forest. I don't ride that fast but on the lakes and maybe a little bit now and then otherwise I ride 50-60mph majority of the time.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Completely wrong all around on the UP, Wisconsin even Minnesota. Iowa and Illinois yeah flatland same with Indiana. Otherwise you would be wrong about how the riding is here. The videos you see are most likely from the main spots like Escanaba and what not. Majority of the UP has different elevations and mountain riding. You will see most in the Keeweenau Peninsula riding mountain machines for a reason same with out east of the UP as well.

Also anyone who rides 80-100mph on a trail shouldn't be doing it anyways. Everything in the North of Wisconsin, Minnesota and the UP is in probably 90% forest riding with a ton of curves and what not. You don't see much flat out straightline riding here except maybe the pipeline and I hate it because every moron in the world rides 80-100mph day or night and it is completely surrounded on both sides by forest. I don't ride that fast but on the lakes and maybe a little bit now and then otherwise I ride 50-60mph majority of the time.
Yeah same way here. I don’t understand why people have to have 850 CC sleds like why would you want to be doing 140+ mph on a snowmobile is beyond me. And this is coming from a dude who is like Safety 3rd mentality. When we ride we refuse to ride at night at all possible and if we do we are going slow as hell if we get into a break down situation and what not where we are spit later than we want to be.
4 ways people die on sled pick a mix 2 of the 4
Drinking, speed, riding at night, or riding on a lake you never rode before
Mixture of those 2 or more are always involved in most Deaths.
When your doing 100 mph and have been drinking or it’s night and everything is white and surrounded by woods shit comes at you Real fast! We have guys here hitting Moose and what not all the time. Or miss a turn and slam into tree
Last year 2 guys dead a mile from my uncles place. They were out on lake in front of camp and near narrows hit open water was at night froze to death. Needless to say out of stateies that had zero idea what they were riding into.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·

Here is decent picture from one trip. Pics don’t do it much justice much higher than it looks in picture
Cloud Sky Outerwear Snow Hat

Sky Cloud Vehicle Snowmobile Plant

Cloud Sky Mountain Plant Snow

Cloud Sky Snowmobile Snow Wheel

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Actually those areas are a like the areas I described here. Mountains like you are on in the summer can be had in the UP and a few places in Wisconsin. Land-O-Lakes is a awesome place to ride up to and the scenery is just awesome year round but even better during the winter.

IF I ever buy a new machine it will be a 850 from Polaris. Not because of the speed factor but because I want the extra HP now and then. I clutch mine more for torque throughout the powerband anyways for the curvy trails around here. The 650 would do me just fine as well. I've had faster snowmobiles then what I have now and still rode the same way I have for going on well this winter will be 44 years as I have been riding since I was 2 years old.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Actually those areas are a like the areas I described here. Mountains like you are on in the summer can be had in the UP and a few places in Wisconsin. Land-O-Lakes is a awesome place to ride up to and the scenery is just awesome year round but even better during the winter.

IF I ever buy a new machine it will be a 850 from Polaris. Not because of the speed factor but because I want the extra HP now and then. I clutch mine more for torque throughout the powerband anyways for the curvy trails around here. The 650 would do me just fine as well. I've had faster snowmobiles then what I have now and still rode the same way I have for going on well this winter will be 44 years as I have been riding since I was 2 years old.
Land of Lacks sounds cool!
yeah I almost pulled trigger on a new Indy Sp 650
Till I found out this years snow check they decreased warranty to 2 years and increased prices $3k over last years model Indy Sp
Hence I was like screw that rebuild what I have.

·
Registered
27,125 Posts
As a flat lander and a speed junky
A snowmobile at 135 mph across a lake is Way safer than
A bike at 100 on the street!
I have been racing since 1982!
I own a 1200cc liquid Kawi, my Eliminator is NOT stock, but a drag bike in cruiser disguise!
That bike aint got ANYthing for my 95 ZRT!

I know all you Mountain guys really get out alot more than use here in the Upper Midwest
Snowmobiling has many facets and speed is only one of them!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
As a flat lander and a speed junky
A snowmobile at 135 mph across a lake is Way safer than
A bike at 100 on the street!
I have been racing since 1982!
I own a 1200cc liquid Kawi, my Eliminator is NOT stock, but a drag bike in cruiser disguise!
That bike aint got ANYthing for my 95 ZRT!

I know all you Mountain guys really get out alot more than use here in the Upper Midwest
Snowmobiling has many facets and speed is only one of them!
I don’t have issue with speed as long as it’s done in right place and time. In Maine we have ass loads of Frost heaves in lakes. And I have hit one at 30moh before and can tell you it sucks!
if your going to just put that speed make sure it’s a well risen part of the lake that you have been on several times that day. Otherwise could end badly. Lol.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts