Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 96 xcr sp 600. tried everything, grease in the hole, cheater bar on a breaker bar and now the outside part of my clutch will thread off if i hold it and turn the puller. So now i have no way to hold the clutch. dont know that much about clutches but from what i'v read thats not whats supposed to happen. if i just turn it, it threads almost off the clutch but it hits the side of my belly pan. so since i cant hold it, i tried an impact (i know thats bad, i did it anyway) got nothing. like i said iv read all the tips. only one i haven't tried tipping it on the side and pouring water into it and using Teflon tape on the puller. I guess 1 how can i get it off and 2 why is it spinning. any info would help!

·
Need Snow!!!!!
427 Posts
I've got a 96 xcr sp 600. tried everything, grease in the hole, cheater bar on a breaker bar and now the outside part of my clutch will thread off if i hold it and turn the puller. So now i have no way to hold the clutch. dont know that much about clutches but from what i'v read thats not whats supposed to happen. if i just turn it, it threads almost off the clutch but it hits the side of my belly pan. so since i cant hold it, i tried an impact (i know thats bad, i did it anyway) got nothing. like i said iv read all the tips. only one i haven't tried tipping it on the side and pouring water into it and using Teflon tape on the puller. I guess 1 how can i get it off and 2 why is it spinning. any info would help!
Tipping part way up on its side and the water thing works great and you don't need much power to do it. I used a long bar to lock in the spiders of the primary just to hold it from spinning. When you hydralic it off it is pretty easy. Use pleanty of teflon and water..It will work. I've done it three times on clutches I thought I had no chance on getting off. Good luck.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ill try it tomorrow but I have to use an impart. I cant hold the cluth beacuse the outer part with the spider just spins.

·
Need Snow!!!!!
427 Posts
Ill try it tomorrow but I have to use an impart. I cant hold the cluth beacuse the outer part with the spider just spins.
I hope it works for you. I know it worked great for me and I only needed awrench to do it, so the impact should do it. If it seems like it gets hard take your puller off and put water back in and more teflon on the threads. Gotta keep it sealed.

·
Reverend Dennis
786 Posts
Why is the outer part coming off? it should be bolted to the inner sleave and not able to come off on its own.

This might sound like a dumb question but you did only remove the center bolt that hold the clutch on right? None of the other bolts around the clutch>?

·
Registered
612 Posts
It's been a while since I've took a clutch off(4 years I think?) Every time It was giving me greef ,I would get it nice & snug & then strike it with a hammer.Tighten it a little more then strike it again .It should just pop off?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Its about 9 deg. out today so the freezing wtaer thing might work but ill leave that as a last resort. and for the bolt question, yes took the center bolt off that holds the clutch. there is a big nut i noticed that is next to the spider inside the clutch that is loose and spins. i assume this is what held my outter put of the clutch on. what to do?

·
Super Moderator
17,904 Posts
You may be able to take the cover of the clutch off and borrow a spider socket and spider nut socket and retighten the spider so the clutch won't spin. You can also remove the recoil and put something through the recoil basket to keep the crank from turning. You can also pull the PTO spark plug and put the end of a rope down into the hole. Let the piston come up, as it contacts the rope, the rope won't allow the piston to go over top dead center. If you do the rope thing, make sure the rope doesn't end up heading into an intake or exhaust port.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got it off!!! Took a lot of heat and grease. kept hitting with the impact then the hammer. Thanks everyone for the help!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts