Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious if there are any CA/NV riders out here and where you go. Recently moved from Alaska and need info/partners.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Mudnik I will be back home In fallon NV ,and would like to go with you next season .I moved up here in montana for a little while and will be going home in a few months.what kind of rideing do you like to do?

·
Registered
709 Posts
Gonna get down to the mid 40's at the beach this week. Thank you guys up north for inhaling and removing the high pressure system. Get a couple low pressure systems in here and we sledding at 6000 feet! Okay ... got the winter fever.

·
Mountain M0DERAT0R
7,469 Posts
welcome to the forums :thumbsup:

·
Registered
177 Posts
I live in Reno Nevada. We usualy go riding at jackson meadows, mt rose meadows, and this place in verdi. Welcome to the area.

·
Mountain M0DERAT0R
7,469 Posts
how much snow do you guys get at the calif/nevada riding areas?

·
Registered
709 Posts
how much snow do you guys get at the calif/nevada riding areas?
This is not an easy question to answer.

The areas below Sacramento do not get enough snow to matter for sledding UNLESS it is in a mountain range.

There are at least 46 mountain ranges in California.

So last season 2005-2006 in areas like Tahoe, Truckee, Mammoth, Huntington Lake (Team Summit ) they had over 500+ inches of snow last year on the North Face. There are so many places to go sledding.

You have to consider what side of mountain you are on to get the most snow. Typically the North face gets the most unless we get an El Nino .. then most moisture comes from SouthEast instead of Northwest. Then the snow (lots of it) will go way south ... easily Los Angeles mountains really called The San Bernardino Mountains.

The San Bernardino Mountains (Big Bear California) which I live by (100 miles) have as high as 11,490feet peaks and average around 6000 feet. Our cabin is at 6000 feet on a north face . In 2005 2006 it had 2 feet if snow. In 2004-2005 , it had 504 inches of snow. The base averaged 8 feet from October 04 to June05 !

There is really no one place on the internet to know how the snow conditions are because each area is promoted by the local business or government agency. They are all trying to get people in to spend money or out cause it is a hazard where a typical city dwelling Californian would get into trouble.

Do you need more specific info?

·
Mountain M0DERAT0R
7,469 Posts
brown435 said:
This is not an easy question to answer.

The areas below Sacramento do not get enough snow to matter for sledding UNLESS it is in a mountain range.

There are at least 46 mountain ranges in California.

So last season 2005-2006 in areas like Tahoe, Truckee, Mammoth, Huntington Lake (Team Summit ) they had over 500+ inches of snow last year on the North Face. There are so many places to go sledding.

You have to consider what side of mountain you are on to get the most snow. Typically the North face gets the most unless we get an El Nino .. then most moisture comes from SouthEast instead of Northwest. Then the snow (lots of it) will go way south ... easily Los Angeles mountains really called The San Bernardino Mountains.

The San Bernardino Mountains (Big Bear California) which I live by (100 miles) have as high as 11,490feet peaks and average around 6000 feet. Our cabin is at 6000 feet on a north face . In 2005 2006 it had 2 feet if snow. In 2004-2005 , it had 504 inches of snow. The base averaged 8 feet from October 04 to June05 !

There is really no one place on the internet to know how the snow conditions are because each area is promoted by the local business or government agency. They are all trying to get people in to spend money or out cause it is a hazard where a typical city dwelling Californian would get into trouble.

Do you need more specific info?
wow...i knew that in the "mountains" it snowed, but its wierd to think over in calif/nev they get that much snow. typically when ppl refer to mtn riding its in the rockies. w/ my occupation, if i get relocated, its nice to know where i can find enough snow to ride :) plus a majority of the riders on sf.com are in the medwest, so we dont have that much exposure to more of the mtn riders

·
King of the Universe
6,674 Posts
I've been through the San Bernadino's where you cabin is. Took the ride on the Rim of the World Hwy(if I remember right); what a road!!:eek: . Drove by Big Bear Resort, Lake Arrowhead, Twin Peaks and that area. That is a beautiful area to have a cabin!!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
709 Posts
You have the area and lingo down. The only thing I can say is they banned sledding there. Too many people breaking the rules, trespass , driving =on the street, getting hurt etc. So you can go to two authorized spots. Both under a square mile.

The only place I can ride is on the access road around the cabin..Snow must be 2 feet or more or Smokey the Bear gets upset.

So now we drive way up north. Cabin collaspe 40 miles from Pasadena, 70 from LA

buckhorn_March 2005.jpg

·
King of the Universe
6,674 Posts
One thing I especially remember is the GIANT F'n pine trees there:eek: ...pine cones the size of a football!:laugh:

Didn't they have some vicious wild fires go through there a few years ago??

·
Registered
709 Posts
Yeah it was a fast one. Lots of Damage and death.
The daay fire is going on right now 130,000 acreas and no reported civilian injuries/casualties.
They were paying experienced loggers $500 a day who could cut those giant trees to make a fire line.

I have a desk job but volunteer cutting up in those woods. I have a few saws. My biggest bar is 6 feet but need some bigger. Trees are too big. Gonna cut a white cedar next weekand. Don't know the circumfrence but 10 feet up the base it is 16 feet across. :eek:

California has the tallest mountain in the lower 48 states. The tallest trees in the world. It also has the oldest trees in the world. Plus the lowest elevation in the USA if not world. Plus one area has the thinnest crust in the world

They are starting to make lots of sled videos in the Sierras.I guess they like it to drive up to the snow film, and drive 100 miles and hang out in 70 degree weather.

·
Registered
2 Posts
CA/NV riders

mudnik, im out of reno, nv right on over the hill. there are lots of places around tahoe to ride tahoe meadows, blackwood, etc. lookin for partners too. let me know it your interested.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts