Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got some C-12 from a friend... just wondering if i should run it in my 2000 xc sp...(on premium setting). OR just run the 93 ??

·
King of the Universe
6,674 Posts
for us dummies....what is c12??

·
Sconnie
1,745 Posts
Well I just googled it. Looks like it is 108 octane racing fuel. So the answer is no! you should not run racing gas in a stock sled!! Your compression will be way to low for that to run!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I googled it as well & came up with the same conclusion... no need to run fuel with that high of octane.....it smells so good though !!! Lol

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have used 115 octane with a half a tank of premium and it did have more snot but I was worried to about the pistons burning up but that was about four years ago and I just checked the compression on my 97 with 4500 miles on it and its still 112 lbs for all three cylinders soo play carefully with that stuff if your stock like I am.

·
Sconnie
1,745 Posts
It will not do you any good! There is no point to increase your octane any higher than 91 unless you have done some mods that can take advantage of the higher octane fuel!!

·
Alex
3,385 Posts
Yea, what I suggested was just a method to use to get rid of it and score some free gas... Not assuming any higher performance.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Exactly! Running higher octane than needed, does nothing. It is only required, when advanced timing, higher compression, etc, would cause detonation in a lower octane fuel.

And even if it was required with pipes or whatever, unless the engine is tip top with full compression, you would probably be safe with pump gas alone.

I have an 800 that with a good rebuild should be around 150 psi. But it is only running 129psi per cyl. I have twins on it and run at a low altitude and am suppose to run a race fuel mix. I don't need to though(and don't now), because of the lower compression.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts