Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
drive it like ya stole it
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I currently drive a 95 cougar 550, but am looking at getting something from 02-07 next year for under $4,000. I was always into the zrs, but am really thinking about a crossfire now (firecats seem too tippy for me). What years are the fastest/most dependable? What year/motors seemed to get better mpgs? I heard zr 800s got better mileage than the 600s? Does the crossfire 7 have the same legendary motor as the f7? Any tips/suggestions would be great, thanks!

·
Premium Member
34,103 Posts
Yep, Crossfire shares same engine and drive train with the F-cats.
Gearing and clutching will be different along with the suspension set up.
The track will have longer lugs as well (usually).

·
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can you find a decent crossfire 7 or 8 for under 4 grand with low miles? By the time I am able to buy the 2006 models will be almost 6 years old already...

·
Registered
303 Posts
There are deals to be found if you can find them.. Keep in mind mines the 600 but i got my 09 crossfire for 3700 out the door.. It had 6000miles on it.. It has a fresh top end and the clutches were gone through before a picked it up.. The longest week in my life!!! lol. But i love this sled..

JT

·
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is true, my buddy found an 02 zr 800 cce with 2,XXX miles for $2100 this year! I'll just have to wait long enough I suppose :cool: Do you know if all crossfires came with wide footboards? I have size 15 feet so I'll need some if I want to ride standing!

·
Registered
303 Posts
That is true, my buddy found an 02 zr 800 cce with 2,XXX miles for $2100 this year! I'll just have to wait long enough I suppose :cool: Do you know if all crossfires came with wide footboards? I have size 15 feet so I'll need some if I want to ride standing!
That im not sure about.. Im a 10 1/2 and i use snowboarding boots and they never hang over the sides on mine. But what years or if all of them have the wide footboards i dont know..

JT

·
Registered
10 Posts
buying a used sled

If you are looking for a crossfire I would suggest an 07 800. You should be able to find some around $4k, especially at the end of the year. 06 700's had allot of recalls and things that needed to be fixed. 07, 800's have more torque and run lower RPM, and get better MPG than the 700's. They got allot of the kinks out with clutching and body panels. I got an 08, 800 crossfire last Spring and love the thing. Smooth ride, lots of power. Don't know if the 2008's would be that low of priced but you never know.

·
Registered
416 Posts
yo dude, firecats arnt tippy..... if you dont tip them

but seriously, i rode one, i didnt think it was tippy, the crossfire felt about the same,

i rode an f8 aswell, that felt like it wasnt tippy, and felt like a tank.

in my opinion a tippy snowmobile would be a 70's elan

·
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ditto, john deeres from the 70s were tippy too ; ) if i went the firecat route it would be the ext for sure, im looking for at least a 136" setup!

·
Registered
416 Posts
we bolth ride a cougar 550, what dont you like about that sled? why the upgradee? just want a newer sled?

·
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
we bolth ride a cougar 550, what dont you like about that sled? why the upgradee? just want a newer sled?
I really like the cougar (my brother drives a 96) but it's more of a trail machine, even after everything I have done to it. The 550s are really dependable but the rest of the sled is starting to show her age! Just want something that will fit my riding style a little better.

·
Registered
416 Posts
how does the sled do with the 1.25 track on it? im probably going to get a 136 skid, but just curiouse

·
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
how does the sled do with the 1.25 track on it? im probably going to get a 136 skid, but just curiouse
If you want to put a 136" skid on a cougar I would definitely go with a 1" or under track..Mine does alright with the 1.25, but I do have it geared down slightly and clutched to engage at over 4,000 rpm. Top speed in the deep fluff is about 70 and on hardpack prime conditions I had it to 95. I can go through so much more snow though without getting stuck it's ridiculous. If I had to do it again I'd probably go with a 1" track and 1.25" studs.

·
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Anybody have any other suggestions as far as the crossfires and zrs from about 2002-2007? What years and models to watch out for etc. I'm thinking a zr 800 with 136" track, or f7 ext/crossfire 7. I heard to stay away from anything with "sno pro" in the name. Any one else hear this?

·
Registered
303 Posts
Anybody have any other suggestions as far as the crossfires and zrs from about 2002-2007? What years and models to watch out for etc. I'm thinking a zr 800 with 136" track, or f7 ext/crossfire 7. I heard to stay away from anything with "sno pro" in the name. Any one else hear this?
Not a thing wrong with the sno pro package.. Only thing you may not like is it will be a bit stiff suspension wise compared to the same sled witout the sno pro...

Now if they were talking about a sno pro 440 race sled then yeah they have there ups and downs.. A race sled is a race sled.. Runs on 110 and is built to be beat on and torn down between each race weekend. unless thats what your looking for? lol

JT

·
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Not a thing wrong with the sno pro package.. Only thing you may not like is it will be a bit stiff suspension wise compared to the same sled witout the sno pro...

Now if they were talking about a sno pro 440 race sled then yeah they have there ups and downs.. A race sled is a race sled.. Runs on 110 and is built to be beat on and torn down between each race weekend. unless thats what your looking for? lol

JT
Definitely not what I'm looking for. So not all sno pros need to be torn down all the time?

·
Registered
303 Posts
Definitely not what I'm looking for. So not all sno pros need to be torn down all the time?
No.. The sno pro race sleds became popular Cat after a while starting to offer Sno Pro packages for some of there lines of sleds like the M8 or Crossfire for example.. For the most part its upgraded suspension parts and sometimes a cool graphics kit.. If my Crossfire was a sno pro it would have fox float shocks up front and in the skid. But i just have the fox spring shocks..

So sno pro does not always mean its a race sled. And my frieds 09 M8 sno pro is just as reliable and needs the same ammount of maintenance as a 09 M8 that is without the sno pro package.

JT

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
I have this year an 05-F7. My sled I sold was a 98 zr600. My first ride on the F7 I thought it was a little tippy, but it just took a little getting used too and it got better and better each ride. I have some adjustments I want to try, but I am happy with the newer sled suspension, and by the way, the F7 runs like a rapped ape.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts