Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I have ridden my dads older sled so I have some experience but am looking to purchase my own sled. I’m looking for something that will be used for mostly trail riding and pulling ice fishing equipment and possibly bang some ditches when I get more comfortable.

I have my eyes on a couple of sleds right now.
A 2001 RMK 700 with 4080 miles
A 2002 ZL800 with 6293 miles
A 2000 Yamaha Vmax 600 with 5279 miles
A ‘01 Mountain Cat 600 with Unk miles
And a 2001 Sno Pro 440 with Unk miles

Just looking for something reliable enough to last me a couple seasons without any major headaches and something that has some room to grow. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

·
Administrator
19,291 Posts
The RMK 700 or the Mountain Cat may have lugs that are not very good on the ice. And because the lugs are so tall, you really can't put studs on the track to help out. The Sno Pro may not have the power required to pull heavier loads with that 440 engine, although regearing may help if that is an issue. The ZL is a nice trail rider, but with that many miles on an 800, I would want to rebuild the top end. Yamaha has had a good reputation for durability over time.

Value will be determined by maintenance. When is the last time the ski runners were replaced? How about the hyfax? How is the belt? Is there a spare belt in good condition? When was the last time the clutches were serviced or cleaned? Has the suspension been lubed? How are the bearings? How are the shocks? When was the last time they were rebuilt?

All of those sleds could work for your stated purpose, but asking those questions may save you hundreds of bucks and may sway your decision.

Good luck in your choice, and welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
27,165 Posts
Welcome
I have an 02 800 Cat and if it is EFI it could be the ONLY sled you will ever need!
That 02 800 efi is the most capable of all those and most any other for that matter!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts