Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at buying my son a 1996 Indy Lite 340. Its a little rough, it does start and run. I did a compression test it has 60psi each cylinder. I didn't think a motor could run on that low of compression. They are asking $500. I'm sure I could get it for less, just not sure if it is worth the hassle. Any input is much appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
163 Posts
yeah 60 is way too low. did you hold the throttle wide open and remove the other plug and give it 5 or so really good pulls? got to be honest here, 5 bills will get you a much better ride. i;d pass but thats just me

·
Premium Member
34,103 Posts
With a reading that low, it could also be your gauge that is off.
If the engine runs, that is what I would suspect.

That being said, the Lite has some unique properties such as being direct drive [no chain case, belt goes right to the drive shaft].
If it runs that is a great price.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
If it's truly at 60psi, it won't run. If it runs, your gauge is off.

If it's an Indy Lite, be careful... They have an odd track size and you can't buy them any more (pretty much). So, unless it's in great shape now, you're looking at a money pit in repairs.

It might be the only one for sale right now, but more should pop up as we enter the season. Be advised that they ones that are in decent shape command a bit of money because the 340 is longer made by Polaris and it's a GREAT size for so many riders.

·
Registered
4,361 Posts
I think $500 is a fair asking price. Show up with cash and offer $400 and see if they'll take it.

If you want to look for another sled in the same class, the late 90s Cat Jag 340 is a great sled too.

·
Administrator
18,930 Posts
By 1993, Polaris came to their senses and put a chaincase/jackshaft on the 340 and got rid of the Direct Drive. I had a 92, it definitely had the direct drive. I felt very foolish when I went to change the chaincase fluid.

I would also suspect the compression is greater than 60 if the sled starts easily and runs at all. Have you checked your gauge against a known good engine or known good gauge?

The fan engines are easy to work on, it should be pretty simple to put a couple of pistons in for not a whole lot of cost. I'm not sure how available pistons are, but they made a lot of 340's, so the aftermarket should have something that will work.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I test rode one before I picked up my Puma. I thought it was a zippy machine. As mentioned, that should have a chaincase and not a direct drive. Replacement tracks, if needed, are easy to come by.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Funny, around here hard to find the 340s also, but the 436 (440) Indy Sports are the next best thing for tweeners and adults alike, cheaper also, my old 95 still flying around the neighborhood in the winter, a few kids have had that, thing is bulletproof

·
Registered
2 Posts
Fixed and painted the hood, graphics, seat from an edge chassis, powder pros, newer bars, bar riser, mountain strap, bar hooks, newer skid and a 141x2 camoplast challenger!

·
Registered
455 Posts
Nice job!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Looking at buying my son a 1996 Indy Lite 340. Its a little rough, it does start and run. I did a compression test it has 60psi each cylinder. I didn't think a motor could run on that low of compression. They are asking $500. I'm sure I could get it for less, just not sure if it is worth the hassle. Any input is much appreciated.
Where did you get that replacement hood?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts