Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 03 F7 and rode it in the mountains last winter twice and went through two belts. Local shop says I need to switch to lower gears, and that should help not burning belts. I guess the gear ratio is too high so its turning the track too fast for that kind of riding. ? Any experience with this? Thanks

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
have your clutch aligned. Thats most likely your problem, they just tell you stupid things like "it's your gearing" so they can charge you an arm and a leg to replace the gears and the labor to do so.

·
I am Spartacus
23,863 Posts
I agree with Maverick. Align the clutches. There are a ton of other sleds out there doing the same thing and not burning belts. Also install the best belt you can afford (Dayco Ultimax, etc.).

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
i agree with mav and small engine on the clutch alignment, but you did mention that you rode twice in the mountains, if it was deep powder the dealer would be correct to reccomend lower gears,if you plan on doing mountain riding occasionlly, i would get
a set of gears for that, you could do a quick gear change prior
to your mountain rides. good luck!

·
Administrator
1,152 Posts
01MXZ800 said:
i agree with mav and small engine on the clutch alignment, but you did mention that you rode twice in the mountains, if it was deep powder the dealer would be correct to reccomend lower gears,if you plan on doing mountain riding occasionlly, i would get
a set of gears for that, you could do a quick gear change prior
to your mountain rides. good luck!
I also agree that it does make a world of difference if you change your clutch weights when you go up into the mountains. Allows your sled to generate higher RPM before the clutch engages... which effectively gives you much better low end response (which you need in the heavy powder.)

By the way... how did the F7 perform at elevation? I've heard mixed reviews regarding the skinniers tracks on the F7s in the powder.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
firecats weren't meant for powder thats what the 1M is for :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts