Snowmobile Forum banner
81 - 100 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Just for clarity... The speedo should connect to the lower shaft, which would be the driveshaft. Jackshaft is the upper on from the secondary across to the chain case.

Yes, there should be a speedo key that connects the two together. It's a $2 (ish) part if you don't have one (although dealers love to sell them for about $10 each).

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
yes...that is what I meant....thanks for the clarification ;)....ok...that is what I thought...thanks for the input :)

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
I'm pretty sure most sleds use the same key, and have for a while. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the one for your sled was identical to the one that both of my machines use.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
So after fighting with my snowmobile for the past week trying to get it to start and stay running and spending money on random bits in attempts to macgyver up something that would make my fuel system work....I seemed to have forgotten 2 key points in the whole theory....gravity and FUEL!!! Apparently I somehow forgot that fluid in a container tilted on an angle will cause fuel to run to run to the lowest point and also below the fuel supply line inside the tank...so a quick run to the gas station and $20 of fuel later....the primer(which I purchased and then proceeded to complain to the distributor that his parts were a piece of crap after receiving 2 of them and getting the same results) worked properly and the sled fired right up!!! So now the sled is parked in the shop and the suspension will FINALLY get welded up and pulled out so I can park Joker (my 77 Mustang) back where he belongs.....*extreme face palm here

So besides my lapse in brain activity :S I now have the sled registered and insured!!! A whopping $3/mth for insurance and $56/yr for registration!!! Also ordered a drive key for the speedo off ebay for 11 bucks which should be here hopefully sometime this week. I've also found out the way I wrapped my tach wire around the plug wire was incorrect and now have the correct method ready to apply. Progress made...stupidity realized....and only 2 more weeks till the wife and I head back to our homeland of Manitoba and I get to have some real fun with it!!!

·
Registered
621 Posts
NICE!

I've had some of those headslap moments over the years for sure. Bet you won't forget that one again soon!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
oh you can bet on that!!! I'm just glad that's all it was....was gonna be really upset if I couldn't go home with the sled and have some fun back out in some of the old stomping grounds.....those head slap things have happened to me a few times recently....guess I have too much going on in my melon to actually think things through.....had a similar issue regarding fixing the exhaust on the wife's car last week as well.....only took me a night of drinking and waking up with a partial hangover to realize what i needed to do there lol ;)

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Just remember the phrase...keep it simple.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 ·
So getting everything ready cuz I leave for MB next friday....sled's running good...really just having trouble trying to get the idle down to 2000....if I turn the idle screw it does nothing until it's almost all the way in and then it skyrockets....so I turn it down....if I adjust the slide and it will drop to about 2100 and then if i turn it just a hair more it drops to about 15-1700 then I turn it back up and it seems that 2400 seems to be the magic number...don't know what's up with that...but it runs good and no hesitation when I rap the throttle....changed out the belt as the old one was starting to glaze up a bit...but old belt...bound to happen....finished building my ramp for my S10...got a 1" sheet of plywood cut at 39.5" and the sled just slides in between the wheel wells of the truck box....here's the ramp

picked up a $10 mirror at Canadian Tire in an attempt to have some sort of way to see behind me....doesn't work the greatest but I have a couple of ideas to make something else work if the situation arises....i can still see behind me but on the low end....good enough to see the wife on the GT when I'm pulling her...

Also, I picked up another safety switch to rig up as a kill switch...I simply filed the notch that would let the switch only go on one way so I could put the cover on the opposite way...so now you flip the covers, and the switches and you have power and open kill circuit...then flip them both down and all power is killed to sled....which is great because I have my hand warmers tied into the power switch so if I forget to turn them off, killing both switches kills all the power. Here's how it looks. Red for power...graphite for Kill...

My drive key came in yesterday so I'll get that installed today.....it was exactly what I thought it would be and now I think I know how make my own now in the future using the extra speedo cable I have lying around...more info on that later ;) you may have also noticed my killer 're-cover' job on the seat....purple duct tape....I plan to paint the sled in the spring to match my 77 mustang...dark purple with lime green accents...it's gonna look killer :D That's it for now....I'll post some pics of the sled loaded in the truck before I leave next friday!! Can't wait....there's lots of snow back home so I'm really gonna have some fun!!

·
Premium Member
34,103 Posts
On your ramp, take some firring strips and attach them to the outside edge to act as ski guides and to prevent sled from slipping off the edge if you get a bit crooked on the approach.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #94 ·
I know it's a bit late...but on that last subject of the throttle cables being to tight...I noticed when I drove it last year while out at the in-laws, that when I had the hood latched, I couldn't get much acceleration, then when I unlatched it, the tension let off and all was good....same thing if I cranked the handlebars all the way one way...I also noticed that if i pulled or pushed on the cable itself the idle would go up and down....how do I adjust the tension on the cables....maybe that's why my idle was so wonky.....

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
I think you figured it out. I am sure the cables are adjustable. Nice to hear from you...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey guys, new here.
I have been reading through this topic, and you guys seem so eager to help, so here I go.
I just got an 80 everest lc electro for free. It seems complete except no battery.
This is not my first build, but I'm still new to this.
Last year I did an 82 mirage 250.

Anyway, back to the everest

It ran a couple years ago, but has sat since. The y pipe has the end broken off, so I am trying to track one down now (not easy). I will be cleaning the carb and replacing the fuel lines and spark plugs first. Then I will try to pull it over.
Just wondering if you guys are still here in the off season. I will prob need some help along the way.

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
I'm still here time to time. I would thing you could get that pipe right through ski-doo or something. Probably fit other models and years. Sounds like a good project. I had a 77 TNT everest back in the late 80's.

·
Premium Member
34,103 Posts
There are many of us who spend the summer here helping those like yourself and from the southern half of the globe.

You can probably locate one from a scrap yard or buy a replacement ball end and weld it on.

81 - 100 of 104 Posts