Snowmobile Forum banner
61 - 80 of 104 Posts
Discussion starter · #61 ·
Got some pics of the plugs....lemme know if these look like everything is running good...

MAG Side

PTO Side

I'll prolly re-gap them if i can....really difficult to do with iridium plugs and I have to make the gap smaller that what they currently are. I've got all next week off from work so I'm going to play around some more with it as I now have a new problem....seems the engine is pulling fuel through my primer plunger....it was running a little odd the other day and then it died...went to start it again and watched small amounts of fuel coming thru the primer...which is really ticking me off because I just replaced the darn thing and it only worked once or twice after I installed it and then whenever you would prime it it would pull fuel but when you push it back it it pushes the fuel back into the feed line instead of pushing it through the line going to the carb....looks like I may have to send a kindly worded email to the peeps I bought it off of ebay from....dangit...anyways...more progress to come....

Discussion starter · #63 ·
Thanks RJ....I feel better now that someone has confirmed the plugs looks good...so I'm sure I have my oil injection setup properly then...I will try the wd-40 in the primer and see if that helps....if not...I'm gonna try to see about rigging up a ball type primer of some kind to work in its place....really choked that after paying $25 bucks and waiting 2 weeks to get it that it only worked for the first couple of times I used it since it was installed....still might send them an email and see what the deal is....but I get a week off here starting in the next hour so I'm planning to have some fun...I'll keep you posted

Those primers are so poorly made, my '95 Ski-Doo has needed 3 or 4 of them in the last 5 years. Take it back (or send it back or whatever) and get a replacement, they fail with staggering regularity.

Discussion starter · #65 ·
actually, I emailed the guy back and complained and he shipped me a new one free of charge....i'm looking into a way that I can rig up a primer ball system or find a mikuni carb with a choke setup....but for now...i'm focusing on keeping it running...it appears I have something blocking up my tank or something as i'm not getting a steady supply of fuel and it's starving out the carb so I can't keep it running...so that's the most recent snag....i re-gapped the plugs to the proper spec and actually made the PTO side a little smaller than what is recommended....gonna keep playing with it and get things dialed in slowly...oh...and I did pull the carb out and check everything and its good there....i pulled the fuel line and no flow...tried blowing into the line and managed to get some flow going....so now I'm not sure what the hell is going on inside the tank....but I'll figure it out....wonderful thing about a vintage sled....it's a learning process....

Rig up a wire and fish the hose out of the tank, theres probably a check valve filter thing on the end of it, sometimes the check valves get stuck, or maybe the filter is plugged. Also make sure the vent in the gas cap isn't plugged, if air can't get in gas can't get out.

Discussion starter · #67 ·
yeah i'm sure it's tank related as my lines are brand new that I replaced when I installed a new inline filter....gonna try and blow some air thru it and go from there.....but i will try to see if there's something in the tank as well as I think it's just like the fuel sight plugs on this thing but I'll check that out as well..

Considering the condition of the carbs when you started working on this, I'll bet that there is some crud on the pick up screen as well.
As previously recommended, fish out the pick up line and clean or replace it.

Discussion starter · #69 ·
that's my plan :) on a separate note....got my new digital tach today!!! :) the only thing I'm not sure about is the setting....am I correct in assuming that 2 pulse means twice per revolution?

Probably and you'll probably find the plugs both fire at the same time...

Discussion starter · #73 ·
so I checked the pickup tube in the tank...all is well there...i think the check valve just needed a lil TLC...got it back in...fuel's coming out good now....now I just cant get it to fire and when I do it runs like crap....traced that down to the primer plunger....turns out while the engine was running it was pulling fuel thru the plunger and flooding the carb....so now i have to bypass that for the moment and try and get the damn thing running again....i took the carb apart again yesterday thinking I needed to clean it but all was good on that end so I don't know what the problem is now....think I'm gonna have to get some of those inline plug testers and make sure i'm getting spark while it's firing....which i'm sure it is because it does run....just not sure what's going on....it was working great for the first little while and now i'm running into problems....oh well...I get it sorted out :)

Spray out the carb anyway, as was said previously a very small bit of varnish can plug the pilot jet.
You might also be in for a fuel pump rebuild but you should be able to test that pretty easily, pull the line off the carb, gas should gush out when you crank the sled over.

Discussion starter · #75 ·
yeah...I had already cleaned out the carb before I pulled the feed line out of the tank as in the night before lol....turns out....nothing was wrong except for the primer plunger....turns out...after a few sprays of carb cleaner down the throat of the carb to get it running and stay running as it normally would need in cold weather and sitting for awhile...the crappy primer plunger apparently has a weak spring and it was pulling fuel thru the plunger and spraying it into the carb causing it to flood....hence the crappy running....i disconnected that today and got it to fire and finally stay running properly....got my digital tach hooked up and I'm clearly a moron because I thought it was 2 sparks per revolution and then I realized (and feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) that it should only be 1 spark per revolution...so I changed the setting on my tach and then dialed in the idle to 2040 rpm as I couldn't get it to 2000...i could get 1980 and 2040 so I left it at 2040.....seems to be running much better too now....also set the slide to it's correct setting (flush with the top of the throat at WOT)...I have one question though....I have an air bubble in the oil filter...not a big one but reasonable one...anyways....there is oil in the lines after the pump and when i hold the pump wide open you could see the bubble get slightly larger then get smaller as oil moved into it...so my question is....should I do something to get rid of the bubble or is it okay? The machine smokes a bunch but it's a 2 stroke....they're supposed to smoke....maybe I need to switch up to smokeless oil...although it is a lot of fun to smoke out the block lol....slowly getting this thing done....picked up my sheet of 1" plywood last week to make my ramp for my S10 and found out it will JUST fit in between my wheel wells of the box of my truck and the engine will sit roughly right over the rear axle and give me plenty o weight for its trek back to MB in feb....Just waiting on my kill and hi/lo swxs, speedo cable and connector from Nick and my new replacement plunger from the guy i got my last POS from and I should be back in business....:)

Interesting that you're getting tech readings in multiples of 60. Coincidence? Maybe dial down to 1980 and keep slowing just until it drops then bring it back up a little and you should be at 2000.

Discussion starter · #77 ·
Hour meter tachometer tach snowmobile yamaha ski doo polaris Arctic Cat gauge sx | eBay

it's a cheap digital ebay tach that wraps around the spark plug wire....factor in cold weather and LCD plus there's a wee bit of a delay....and I tried a few times to get it dialed in....not sure what you're implying by 'coincidence' though.....but I'm also working a 12 hour overnight shift so my brain isn't exactly firing on all cylinders right now...;)....but i'll certainly give it another go....this whole thing has been one learning experience after another.....as I said at the beginning of this thread....I'm totally new to all of this.....just doing lots and lots of reading all over the place to get information :)

I'm thinking that your digital tach's sampling rate prevents you from getting an exact reading. Instead, you're being limited to readings that are multiples of 60.

Discussion starter · #79 ·
yeah your prolly right :).....it's still better than what the stock one was doing ;)....that thing was all over the place and from a few posts I've read on here this was just the easiest way to get around it :)

Discussion starter · #80 ·
hey guys...so I got my parts from nick yesterday....I'm curious though....is there a pin or something that goes into the jackshaft and elbow connector for the speedometer? I noticed that on the inside of the elbow connector there is a hole that has a square opening in the middle of it...i took the speedo cable and it fit in the hole...so I'm just curious if there is something that is supposed to go in there? I was thinking if I need to I may cut a piece off my old speedo cable and try that but any help would certainly help and if you need pics...i can take some and post later :)

61 - 80 of 104 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.