Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone,

I just bought a new 2010 Polaris 550 IQ shift, took it out for the first tour last weekend, and engine went on it. The machine has only 100KM; Dealer is suggesting they can only replace the broken parts. I feel that more should be done considering it happened on the first ride. I would appreciate anyone’s recommendation on how I should deal with Polaris and the dealer. Should I push for a new machine, new engine, longer warranty?

·
Super Moderator
18,377 Posts
The 550 fan has had a horrible reputation, especially in the IQ sleds. Many many problems with burndowns, even with the best of maintenance. If you can get out of that sled and get into a liquid, that would be your best bet. Keeping the 550 is going to be a crap shoot any way they do it.

Good luck, sucks to have happend on the first ride :(

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Just bought a used 550 Fan myself. It's got 6600 miles on it, and had the top end re-done about 500 miles ago. I have read horror stories about the 550 Fan engine, but the price was great, and with that many miles and 150 psi in each cylinder, I figured it would have died long ago if it was going to die at all.

Anyway, 200+ miles, and no problems so far.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Sorry to hear that. I agree with what the other guys are saying I've been doing a lot of research and liquid cooled is the way to go.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts